A&P Pictures From Road America

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tvan, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Tvan

Tvan New Member

I was up in Elkhart Lake, WI this weekend for the Kohler Internation Challenge, an annual vintage race weeked. I borrowed my cousin's telephoto and got two shots that I'm turning in for my class. Needed a pan or blur shot and an "odd shot", meaning unusual angle or subject matter. The pans came out alright, but I realized that in the future I need to find a place to take them without anything else in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  2. itchypony

itchypony New Member

:cool:

Road America is an awesome track!

3. Tvan

Tvan New Member

I've been there quite a few times. Seen vintage races, American le Mans series races, and driven at Skip Barber Race school. :)

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

good shots!

5. Tvan

Tvan New Member

I'll add more tonight when I get home from work.

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

That is tough to do at the racetrack. The better option is just to use a slow enough shutter speed and use the clutter of the background to show the sense of speed even more.

I see from your exif that you shot that at 1/250. If you had shot that at 1/80 or something like that you'd have a nice colorful blurred background that will work with the photo to give the sense of speed that the pan is meant for.

Something like this, shot at 1/60:

[​IMG]

Or you can get real crazy and go even slower 1/30 with a 500mm and even shoot through foreground. This was shot through fans and catch fencing.

[​IMG]

7. Bloke

Bloke Banned

8. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Those are really nice shots. I was hesitant to go slower because i was shooting without a monopod or any sort of support. Next time I'll have to try that though. Some of the best spots to watch at Road America are through fence.

The lens I borrowed was 70-300mm, which turned out to be long enough on my body, but I could see if you needed to get close at a big track like Sebring you'd need to really stretch the focal length.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  9. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

You dont need a monopod for this kind of stuff. The first is shot with a 70-200 handheld. The second did have a monopod on it, only because of the size of the lens. A monopod actually hinders the ability to pan smoothly. Only reason we use them is take the weight of the lenses so we dont have to carry them all the time.

You just need to practice a good steady panning motion. You shouldnt ever really need to pan faster than about 1/160. That is what I use when I NEED to get something and dont want to spend too much time on the shot. It will still give enough background and wheel motion.

It wont really blur out really busy backgrounds, but will help.

After you get a couple of "safe" pans up in the 1/160 range, then just start to play around. Its the beauty of digital, it doesnt cost you anything to develop bad images. Pans in the 1/60 range will not be high percentage, so you just practice and take lots of them.

The second shot, down at 1/30 is really a low percentage shot. I think I probably took about 30-40 of those and only ended up with about 3 or 4 that are potential keepers, with that one being the one I liked the best. Its just something different you dont see everyday.

But when you're panning down in speeds like that, you're going to be getting 1 in 10 kinds of numbers for truly sharp images. Just a lot of practice.

I'll be at RA in a couple weeks for the ALMS/WC weekend. There are actually a lot of good places to shoot there from spectator areas. The area around turn 6, which is the top of the hill by the Toyota drive over bridge has a lot of potential. Also, the entire area from drivers left from turn 6 down throgh the Hurry Downs is all good spectator shooting. Drivers right in the Carousel is good shooting. Driver's left between 5 and 6 is good and has no fencing. Look around, there are a lot of places where you are only right behind the "pros" and dont have a lot of fencing in front of you.

I wont blow smoke up your butt and say that you can get anything a "pro" can there, but there is still a lot of good shooting and something with a 300 should be plenty for some good pans and other kinds of shots.

Have fun and play with it.

10. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Too bad I have to give this lens back. And I move into my apartment at school the weekend of ALMS at RA. I took some photos from turn 6 that I'll host here, was shooting a friend of my dad's that was driving. But there's no way I can get inside turn 5 or to some of those places that the guys with passes can. I was watching them shoot and getting mad that I couldn't go in there.

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Dont worry, turn five is not all that exciting for photos. There are some cool ones you can get there, but there are a lot of good photos in a lot of other places on the track that you can have access to without a problem. Just got to find them. :cool: