A&P Pictures from paradise. Tell me what you think.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by tom37211, Jun 2, 2006.

1. tom37211

tom37211 New Member

Hello and greetings from the Florida Keys. As I had mentioned in this forum before, there are a bunch of old, abandoned bridges in the Keys. I have been meaning to take some pictures of some of them and I finally got around to doing so 2 days ago. We had some strong rain showers move through earlier in the morning, so I thought that the early light of the sunrise and the rain clouds would lend a bit of drama to the pictures.

I am still new at doing this. I was playing around with the shutter speed and the aperture opening in the “manual” setting to see what would give the best contrast and the best effect. The pics have been resized to about 30% of their original size to fit on these pages. No other enhancements were done. They were taken with a Cannon Powershot A-620 using a tripod.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - This is the old wooden bridge off Bahia Honda Key. It was a railroad bridge. Then a paved road was placed on top of it years ago. The bridge was decommissioned about 25 years ago and a chunk from each end was cut out to keep people from going on it. It’s torn up from weather wear and lightening strikes. I remember when I was a kid and driving with my dad on these roads and how narrow they were. I remember the road was littered with mirrors from trucks busting them off one another as they passed each other. It’s a neat little thing from the past.

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 - Another view of the old wooden bridge.

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 - Close up of the old wooden bridge.

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 - Steps leading up to the old bridge. (I should have taken this pic from the bottom of the steps.)

[​IMG]

5 - Another close up of the old wooden bridge. (Damn the default 400ASA. It’s too grainy).

[​IMG]

6 - An old railroad station. It’s now a homeless/crack den with piles of human turds, used condoms and used needles laying around.

[​IMG]

7 - This is the old 7 mile bridge. Parts of it on either end are used as catwalks for fishing and walking/jogging. This is obviously part that is still open to the public.

[​IMG]

8 - These are lobster buoys tangled and abandoned after hurricane Wilma. I liked the colors on this. There were 10’s of thousands of lobster traps lost/destroyed because of that storm. That storm wiped out a shit load of fishermen.

[​IMG]

9 - This is the old 7 mile bridge. If that name is familiar, it’s because it was in the news a few months ago because a bunch of Cubans landed at the pilings of that bridge and were sent back to Cuba because, according to government arguments, since that bridge was not attached to dry land, it was not considered part of the United States so the “wet foot/dry foot policy ruled against them. Me and some friends are seriously considering opening a whore house and growing weed on that bridge. After all, it’s not part of the United States. (F.Y.I., I am thinking that argument will not fly. Also, as far as the Cubans being sent back, FUCK EM! Send them all back for all I care.)

[​IMG]

10 - Notice how narrow the lanes are and the lack of any shoulder. Notice the guardrails are actually railroad tracks. I recall as a kid seeing a car not 100 feet in front of us go through that barrier and plunge into the water after being run off the road by a truck with a flat tire. That was fucked up.

[​IMG]

11 - This is a close-up of the old 7 mile bridge. I intentionally over exposed this a bit to show the bushes growing on it in the distance. The green blotch at the far end is a 12 foot pine tree that has been there for years. Up until a few years ago, the owner of one of the local bars used to decorate that tree for Christmas every year with lights and a solar panel. Then the county made him stop. (DICKS!)

[​IMG]

2. Nice background information and pics :bigthumb:

3. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Cool! I like pic #7 the best, though the lighting is off. Some of your subjects are smack dab in the middle of your frame, if they were off to one side it might be more pleasing to the eye. But there are definitely some fantastic shots to be taken there. Try to hit that site up during a thunderstorm or sunrise or someting...

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

yeehaw

Does anybody else think dukes of hazard?

5. !m/_

!m/_ D͇͈̰̳̺̼ͩ̋̓̾i̠͈̩͙̱̳̟͂̊s̈́͐́ ̻͓̙͌̃̿s̖͙̲̰̫ͨͧ̈́̍̿̚ò&#82

pictures of crack den? :big grin:

6. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Colors seem really flat for a paradise.

7. The Green Bastard

The Green Bastard Click click click bang

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    AWESOME!
    Dunno why, but stiff like this gives me goosebumps!

Wicked wicked pics. Thanks for the PM about them. :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

those aren't the greatest photos but the story and composition on most of them really grabbed my attention.

9. NitrousX

NitrousX Go web Go!

Wow I enjoyed that. You brought out a lot of beauty from one abandoned bridge. Great photography.

10. H. Birdman

H. Birdman New Member

100% agree

11. CRC

CRC New Member

I agree with tomash...huh

12. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

404woodonbridgenotfound

Really cool pics and background on each though.

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Very nice pictures.