A&P Picture processing... in camera or afterwards?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Which do you guys prefer... nailing white balance/saturation/etc off the camera or just brushing it up in light room after?

I have done the light room/photoshop method but I'm trying to get better at it with the camera right from the start.

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Shoot RAW, edit afterwards. ALWAYS!

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

/thread

4. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

With Nikon - DO NOT process your RAW files in Adobe Camera RAW (ACR aka Lightroom or Photoshop) Do everything first in Nikon Capture NX2 then go to Photoshop/Lightroom.

Why? A/B something post-processed from a RAW file in NX2 and then in CS3. BIG difference.

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

not if you're using the custom camera profiles with the latest versions of cs3. they're now 97% identical. Adobe made some pretty important changes.

and while NX2 is a really nice development program, it's interface and organizational tools fucking blow. Which made it a pain in the balls to use.

I still play around with it on really important single images, but i'd never be able to use it as a day to day part of my workflow.

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh wow ok. well that's one less thing i have to worry about while shooting then.

so just leave it standard setting and auto white balance?

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

for just a hobbyist, do i have to shoot raw? or will large/fine suffice for me since i'm not selling pics or shooting a wedding.

8. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

the only problem with a RAW file in Bridge is that Adobe automatically hits all your files with a +50 Brightness and a +25 Contrast. Once you've learned that you're a step ahead of the game. Open ACR and pull those sliders back down to 0 and then start making your adjustments. There is absolutely zero reason to process in multiple programs.

9. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

some people in here will tell you that shooting jpeg is for snapshots:o

only time I go ahead and shoot jpeg is if I'm concerned about memory space and I know ahead of time I plan to do zero processing to the images.

When I shoot the Houston Roller Derby, I shoot jpeg LARGE because I want the memory space (700+ images to a card vs 200) and I know all I'm going to do is upload them to the web for the girls. I don't process anything, so there's no point in adding a step for conversion to jpeg.

if you're just doing vacation photos and you don't intend to process anything, shoot jpeg. If you have any intentions of processing anything then shoot RAW.

bingo...getting WB right in camera makes your post easier, but if you're not in a static environment it's a waste of time. Couple of little clicks in ACR and you're good to go.

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

wow thanks for the info guys. as always, very helpful. i have a lot to learn on the software side.

do you think with light room 2 i can process photos decently? i only have light room 2, photoshop 7.0 and CS2

11. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

lightroom 2 will work just fine. You are a while away of being able to use photoshop to do what lightroom cant. LR can do a ton.

I shoot auto WB and correct in post. I always find myself adjusting in post even when I tried doign custom profiles. Sometimes I look a an image and it looks better just a tad warmer or a tad cooler. If I know I am indoors shooting for a while and I am not really ggoing to do much with the images afterwards or giving them to someone, I will shoot an image of a grey card I carry with me and then synchronize all my images to it afterwards

12. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

get it right in the camera and fuck spending twice as long in photoshop as you did with the camera

13. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

No. Don't care what you say it's NOT the same. It's really not even close :o

14. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Take photo of white balance card, shoot raw, sync all photos to card with LR in post. Done.

15. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

so you only shoot in photo studios where there is no changing ambient light and the strobes color temperature remain identical throughout your shoot?

Must be nice.

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

wow just played around with some custom presets tweaking them in light room 2.

i'm officially giddy like a school girl

thanks so much guys :cuddle:

17. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:rofl:

If only it were that easy

18. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Haha actually, yes. And I don't shoot in studios. I haven't found a situation yet where I haven't been able to take shots of the white balance card throughout the shoot and get the white balance perfect. But I'm sure there's situations where that isn't the case.

19. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

You don't HAVE to EVER shoot in RAW. Different strokes, different folks. I only shoot RAW for shoots i'm getting paid for. All of my vacation photos and random shooting I do are all done in jpeg. Why? Because I can get some great photos in JPEG and edit them to my heart's content without any problems. :dunno:

And while it is best to get the shot you want straight from the camera, in 6 years, i've NEVER shot in anything but AWB. Works for me, may not work for you. It's a very simple fix in PP most of the time.

20. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Are you using a "Picture style". If you use Standard its almost the same. If you use any other picture style or profile, then its gonna be different until you change the "Camera Calibration" to that specific style

21. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yes, yes it is. I don't care what YOU say. :noes:

I use them both side by side all day long. The camera profiles made a HUGE difference in the rendering of red tones, which were where Adobe fell flat on it's face previously.

If you're editing them side by side and can't get close, you're doing it wrong.

(with that said, yes, NX2 is more accurate than ACR. But the difference between the two is no longer anywhere near enough to justify using NX2's shitty interface and organizational tools.)

22. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Yeah feel free to send me a profile and I'll prove you wrong. I tweaked the piss out of them all and ACR never came close to looking like NX2.

23. johan

johan Active Member

Money or selling has nothing to do with it.
    Some pros shoot jpg, others don't.

Your workflow preference has more to do with how you want to work, what your idea of perfection vs. "good enough" is, and how much effort and resources you want to put into this.

Entirely separate from money/no money, pro/hobbyist, etc.

24. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

this has nothing to do with 'tweaked' profiles... :ugh:

In the latest versions of Adobe Camera Raw, Adobe includes camera specific profiles that correct color for specific camera mo... ya know what. nevermind.

I don't care this much.

25. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Well it always sucks for me.