Picture in Picture

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rusbrmasas, Oct 13, 2008.

1. rusbrmasas

rusbrmasas New Member

Hello,

I have a 52" Sony Bravia, model #KDL-52XBR5.
    I have a Motorola HDTV digital cable box - it only has DVI output, NOT HDMI.

The TV has an option for picture in picture (PIP).
    Initially, the current channel becomes the left picture, and the right picture is static. When I focus on the right picture and change the channel on the digital box, the left picture changes and the right pictures remains in static.

Does anyone have any experience in using a digital cable box and PIP? Is it possible to get a unique channel for each picture via a digital cable box?

Thanks.

2. The R-ruh

The R-ruh OhMyWhat?!?!

I'm having the same issue w/ my Samasung. In for answer.

3. rusbrmasas

rusbrmasas New Member

I looked around and here's what I found.
    The best solution is to buy a splitter. One end goes to the cable box as per usual, the other end goes directly into the back of your TV.
    So, you can get non-digital cable in one picture and HD/digital cable on the other. As far as I could tell, there is currently no way to get a digital signal for each picture (unless you want to buy 2 digital cables box - but that's just a guess).

Hope this helps.

Source: http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/130315.html

Thanks.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

that's exactly what you need. you have the two pictures showing different input sources on your TV. one is the digital cable input and the other is the regular TV tuner. since you are using digital cable, you probably haven't connected anything to the TV tuner and so you have no signal. getting a splitter and plugging one in directly will allow you to watch 2 channels at once. most likely you can do PIP with any 2 inputs on your TV. so, you can have your cable box on one and a gaming console on the other (play games while you are waiting for commercials to end so you can switch back as soon as it is ready).

you may also want to check your cable box to see if you have PIP through the digi cable. i have my digi-cable through Cablevision with the DVR box and it has PIP built in so i can watch 2 channels PIP.

5. rusbrmasas

rusbrmasas New Member

I'll take a look at what my digital box offers. Since it doesn't even do HDMI output (DVI is the best it offers) I'm not going to hold my breath on PIP being supported.

Thanks for the information thought!

6. Dew 5284

Dew 5284 OT Supporter

The problem is that most TVs can't display two digital sources simultaneously. That is why the coax solution works. You could not have HDMI 1 as the main and HDMI 2 as the secondary. Therefore, getting a second HD box won't help unless you connect it differently.

7. rusbrmasas

rusbrmasas New Member

Thanks for the input everyone - I found out exactly what I needed to know :)