GUN Pics of my first refinish/reblue project: Westernfield 47

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Buzz Killington, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This started out with a good but in-need-of-finish walnut stock and a good deal of browning on the barrel. The feed tube was very brown (below is a pic from the guy I bought it from last year).

[​IMG]

I refinished it with BLO and tung oil. I didn't want a "mirror" finish because, after all, this is a Westernfield (Montomgery Wards store brand built by Mossberg) and was probably $3.50 when it was new a Long Time Ago. Tung oil was rubbed in by hand over a week and a half, morning and evening. The stock needed very little work.

I did not intend to redo the barrel, but after rebluing the feed tube, the peep site (shown in original pic...can you believe it has 14 parts!) and some other things I figured I might as well try it. I used Birchwood-Casey Blue and Rust Remover and cold Bluing liquid.

The bolt I originally intend to remain unblued with the exception of the bolt handle, but I could not properly mask it off and ended up deciding to do the entire thing. I don't have any idea what it was originally.

This is factory drilled for a scope. I sourced a very interesting case-hardened Mossberg No. 8 mount and a fixed Mossberg 4x scope. Along the way I also bought a nice Mossberg No. 6 quick-release target mount and a fixed 4x scope but I could never find a base for the mount. I have new screws for the base and will put them soon. Along the way I sourced original screws from http://www.havlinsales.com/ for the butt and the trigger guard (as well as a trigger spring that I lost while polishing the trigger with a dremel :o ).

Anyway, this is my third refinish (Mosin, SKS, and this) but my first attempt at rebluing.

:wavey:

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

I've got an orginal Mossberg .22lr that looks exactly like that at home that's fed through the stock. I'll snap some pics when I get home. I got it from an old timer I helped. Said it was used as a training rifle for snipers overseas.

But that's an awesome job you did on that. Looks really good!

3. Buzz Killington

Thanks, it was fun to fiddle with it.

You have an M44US. That is the first rifle I ever shot in my life at Boy Scout camp using surplused rifles.

Wanna sell it?

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

5. Buzz Killington

Home cold rebluing of something as big as a barrel is a fucking pain. The blue/rust remover is acid and burned the fuck out of my hands and fingers (I ran out of rubber gloves :o ).

It is also not as even on the barrel as on other pieces - I think this is more a function of how the steel was originally finished and how good it is. Some of the steel parts I reblued that do not have a "milled" finish like a barrel and which were probably cheaper metal really took an easy finish, almost black.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

I may entertain an offer. It's just been sitting in the back of the safe for a long time. But yeah, now that I think about it, I think you're correct. It's a very accurate little shooter.

Let me take some pics and let you know.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  7. Buzz Killington

:cool:

They are heavy fuckers.

At least they were heavy for a scrawny 13 year old kid :rofl:

PM me whenever you get some pics :cool: