Pics of my '91 MR2 Turbo

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Raptor13x, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Raptor13x

Raptor13x Guest

I just finished the engine swap, so now I'm enjoying boost :) This is not a show car in any sense of the word, I love performance, and I love lightweight cars, hence all the weight reduction. :big grin: Whaddyall think? :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wop

wop Guest

looks nice, specs?

real border? or knock off?

more info on the exhaust?

3. Raptor13x

Raptor13x Guest

Just finished engine swap from the NA engine to the Turbo engine. I'm breaking it in right now, new clutch and whatnot, so I dont exactly know what it will do. I'm expecting ~260 flywheel hp at 15psi, but the engine is largely unmodded right now. I'm saving up the $$$ for the big engine mods, built engine, GT30 turbo, TEC3 engine management, etc etc etc. I love lightweight cars, so I've done quite a bit of weight reduction. Stock weight is anywhere from 2700 to 3000lbs, mine I estimate is about 2500lbs right now, but I havent weighed it yet. My horsepower goal is 400rwhp, and my weight goal is 2200lbs. Its more of a handling car than a drag car, but I want a car thats impressive in all performance catergories. Right now if I upped the boost to 15psi, it should run low 13s. I'm running 8psi until its all broken in and stuff. Its a ton of fun, I had forgotten just how good the handling really is, its like you point, it goes, instant steering reaction. Its so much fun to drive, and its only gonna get better with more power :big grin:

The Border hood is not available in CF, this is a copy, a very very lightweight copy, which is what I was looking for more than looks. I want my car to look nice, but performance is FAR more important than appearance.

The exhaust is just a custom job, I wanted it as light as possible while still providing reasonable sound levels. It sounds very nice, not too loud, not too quiet, and it doesnt sound like a 4 cylinder at all. You can hear turbo whine over it, which I love :big grin: I wanted to go for something different, this is one of extremely few MR2s I've seen with the dual center exit look, and I really like it. It was cheap and effective, total cost was like $130 for the muffler, and $200 for the midpipe and the labor he put into it. Pretty cheap and pretty effective, absolute minimum length and exhaust bends without full out dumping off the downpipe race pipe.

4. Endorphin

Endorphin Guest

Nice car bro.

5. Raptor13x

Raptor13x Guest

Oh my god, I just hooked up the boost controller and fuel cut defencer, and got the whole thing working as it should... you hit the gas, hit 3 grand, boost kicks in, and OH MY GOD this thing is quick!!!! :big grin: wooohooo! I'm so happy with this thing.

All of you have GOT to feel what 15psi of boost feels like in this thing. hehe I used to think it was reasonably good in acceleration before with 130hp, lol, now is ungodly fast compared to back then. I cant even imagine what 400hp will feel like when I get all those engine mods done :)

6. SickOfItAll

SickOfItAll The Bartender

Mine's faster :)

Lookin good though! I'm working with a guy to get some CF sunroofs made - wanna shave another 20 lbs off, and at the tallest point of the car no less?

7. SickOfItAll

Oh yeah, and you said you're looking into a GT30 turbo - DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT buy ANYTHING from extremeboost.com. I bought my turbo kit from them - while service wasn't bad, shipping was quick - the owner, Jeffrey, basically has no idea what he's talking about and will blame any problems you have on other things. I basically got swindled by him - I would NEVER do business with them again.

8. wop

wop Guest

what did you do to drop the weight?

9. ap

ap New Member

Click here if your browser does not automatically
    sweet :bigok:

10. SickOfItAll

You must not have seen the carbon fiber...

11. MikeMurder

MikeMurder Guest

ricer hood

12. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

wow thats the first mr2 ive seen without a rear spoiler :cool:

13. redna

redna New Member

Hard to be rice when its actually functional....

Nice car Raptor. are these posted on the board?

14. wop

wop Guest

I was refering to other than the carbon :slap:

he would have to do more than CF hood and trunk for -200lbs loss.

15. redna

redna New Member

No AC, No PS, Removed firewall carpet (heavy), removed misc brackets and whatnot during the swap, etc. etc. etc.

200 lbs wouldnt be that hard to drop on this car. I dropped about 95 lbs on my white one without a problem.

16. Cant it be rice with it functioning? I mean look at those LED windshield washer sprays. They are functional. But damn are they rice.

17. love the plate :big grin:

18. slow car

slow car OT Supporter

very nice! my car's on a bit of a diet these days as well

19. redna

redna New Member

how are the functional? The do not provide enough light to light up anything at all...

The hood is actually USEFULL and functional put it that way. It may be ugly, but its not rice. "Rice" is used way to openly...

20. redna

redna New Member

21. MADIZM

MADIZM Your mother sux cocks in hell

22. MikeMurder

MikeMurder Guest

I see, it cools down the spare tire.... stupid me

23. redna

redna New Member

lol... "stupid you" indeed... It actually comes up through the space between the spare tire compartment and the front bumper.

It allows for more flow through the radiator(i.e. better cooling) and also keeps the air from exiting out UNDER the car and relocates it to over the car (i.e. downforce).

So again... "Stupid you" indeed.

24. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Lower the thing and put a damn spoiler on it

25. Brandon92DSM

Brandon92DSM Guest

props for the motor swap and taillights.

no props for the hood, or taking the spoiler off.