MIL Pics from the WWII burial and survivors from Saturday

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by whutaboutbob, Jul 23, 2007.

1. whutaboutbob

whutaboutbob Guest

I cannot tell you how heart warming this entire thing has been, some of you know that my great uncles remains were identified by DNA from the USS Oklahoma over 60 years ago. Two men are responsible for this, and an entire town stopped and pitched in to show respect. I have hundreds of pics, and we're making a scrap book for the family to keep. Local and national media were there, so I will link to stories and coverage of that later, the ship also had some pretty fascinating information.

The turn out was nothing short of over whelming, we had planned for and paid for 200 people to eat afterwards, instead, we had over 300. More than 500 people showed up at the funeral, some were WWII vets from around the world. Also a group of POW bikers called the Thundering Herd showed up, all at once, with flags, they were security to keep the media, and any protestors out. We had no idea they were coming, I was manning the door at the pre get together at the American Legion when they showed up. We just about shit ourselves, there was just not much room for anyone else.

Much more as the day goes on, I am going to pick out some good shots to share.

Cliffs, we will never have another generation like this one, cherish the memory of one man who finally came home, and gave his life for our country.

Pics loading.. and will continue until I have been able to share this with those interested.

This sign greeted us as we came into town, all of the flags were out, and at half mast. Other flags lined the streets of this small farm town, America at her finest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where we started and intended to help set things up for after the burial, the church and town already had most of it done.

[​IMG]

The front of the room, where we put up his pictures and awards for everyone to see.

[​IMG]

The ship picture is signed by surviving members of Pearl Harbor, 1-200 of them die a month now.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  2. Trickypants

Trickypants OT Supporter

Fucking wow....:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

3. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

4. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

Nice man :cool:

5. whutaboutbob

whutaboutbob Guest

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Very, very nice. Congrats and I applaud you for all that you did for your uncle.

7. Mr Larry Johnson

Mr Larry Johnson Ain't so funny meow, is it? OT Supporter

America ftw :cool:

8. whutaboutbob

whutaboutbob Guest

Paul get's his own thread, I am only using first names because I respect these men tremendously.

[​IMG]

I spent as much time when him as I could, he has 350 MIA people from his ship, the USS Oklahoma which sank during the attacks of Pearl Harbor. The ship took between 9-12 torpedo hits. This slight man, had to LEAP 50 feet into the sea in order to survive, he then pulled 3 other men through burning gasoline fires to safety before collapsing from his injuries. Today, at his expense only, he continues to try and locate mismarked sons for families.

9. sandspur

sandspur Guest

America FUCK YEAH

10. Mr Larry Johnson

Mr Larry Johnson Ain't so funny meow, is it? OT Supporter

so lick my butt and suck on mah balls

11. assclown

assclown Active Member

What happened on Saturday? :hsugh:

12. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

13. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

3 cheers for a country that doesnt care aboot its vets, wait thats every country....

14. wait*what

wait*what OT Supporter

15. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

were there any protestors?

16. oscarkat

oscarkat Happiness is a long hard road. OT Supporter

incredible, looking forward to more pics throughout the day!

17. whutaboutbob

whutaboutbob Guest

The American Legion one block up the road from the VFW hosted the pre funeral, coffee donuts, and cookies. Some more pics of the town, and early on some of the WW2 survivors trading stories out front with current sailors.

[​IMG]

Middle of town, all decked out, they rolled out the red carpet.

[​IMG]

Legion at about 11:00, the funeral was at 1:00. This place completely filled up, we had to just about turn people away. But we managed..

[​IMG]

Survivors, the one in the middle in white came from San Diego, he's 92 years old.

[​IMG]

More town flags..

[​IMG]

18. 97venge

97venge New Member

bad mother fuckers

19. whutaboutbob

whutaboutbob Guest

I'm going to get to that, we had some incredible security, the media also were held in check. I am getting to those, this story deserves my time and patience to let you all take in the entire scene, it was over whelming. I cried with honor, and swelled up more than once.

20. PAK88mm

PAK88mm Kharkov CounterOffensive '43 "Mansteins Counterstr OT Supporter

amazing. Cherish those moments spent with those amazing men because they wont be around long.

21. I don't see why not.

22. 1 to 200 Pearl Harbor vets die a month? Sounds high.

23. whutaboutbob

whutaboutbob Guest

The American Legion building filled up, members from the entire State showed up. The National commander did as well, then all of a sudden, security showed up.

[​IMG]

All of a sudden, I was manning the front door, 37 Harley's and other bikes flying POW and American flags showed up, it was as loud as you can imagine. I went over and got some of them together for a pic, my fiancee and I rode over with them to the funeral.

[​IMG]

Not the type of folk you want to fuck with, they asked if I would allow them to handle and protestors that may show up. YEAH! More on that later.

[​IMG]

Full Navy color guard before, they were great to party with later on.

[​IMG]

When out convoy got to the grave yard, we shut the town down, they had this flag up for him.

I started to cry a little at this point, couldn't help it.

24. So none of those religious morons turned up saying PH vets were fags or anything?

Those fuckers make me mad :mad: