A&P pics from a random stunt day...tried to take camera crews panning advice

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by biawokauns, Mar 24, 2005.

1. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

:o

some turned out okay! thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    f3.5, 1/200, ISO400, 130.0 mm

[​IMG]
    f3.5, 1/200, ISO400, 130.0 mm

[​IMG]
    f2.8, 1/30, ISO400, 110.0 mm

[​IMG]
    f2.8, 1/30, ISO400, 110.0 mm

[​IMG]
    f6.4, 1/60, ISO400, 200.0 mm

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

What are the tips for panning?:hs:

3. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

What lens are you using?

The first two are best with the 200th shutter speed. Rest are kinda blurry.

4. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

Depends how fast they go. Heres some tips I can give you that might help.

1) Don't pan with your arms, pan with your hips. Believe it or not, it's ALL in the hips. At D1GP in December, I was thirsty and went to go get a drink, came back and all the photo spots were gone. I had to take pictures from a hole in the fence, so I was leaning on the impact wall and panning with my arms, it came out like ass.

2) Track. Track. Track. Have your eye on the viewfinder before the car gets to where you want to take the picture. With the Digital Rebel, you don't have AI Servo, so focus on the area where you're going to snap the shot before hand. This is known as prefocusing. When the bike or whatever gets to the spot or around it, tap the shutter button a couple times and press when you want to take the picture. Remember to have your feet apart so you're standing steady and pan with your hips. It's important to get a smooth pan motion.

3) When you press the shutter button, SQUEEZE. Don't PRESS it. You'll jerk the camera when you press, you're supposed to squeeze your hand so that the pan is smooth and it doesn't jolt when you take the camera.

4) pratice.. practice.. practice. Panning isn't easy. A lot of people don't get it the first couple of times. My pans 12 months ago weren't as good as they are today and they're still not as good as some people out there. Don't worry too much about not getting keepers every shot. Sometimes I'll get lucky and have like 2 keepers every 7 shots. Sometimes I'll get nearly all keepers if I'm shooting high shutter speeds.

It depends on how fast the cars/whatever is moving. If it's moving slow, you need a longer shutter speed. IF it's moving fast, you can get away with faster ones.

For example the JGTC cars that I shot with the 85mm were moving ridiculously fast. I had a shutter speed of like 1/200s I think (you can check the exif on my images, i leave them in tact for the most part)

For you, I'd probably start out at 1/125s, if they're moving quick you can maybe go for 1/150 1/200s. Just remember that the longer you drag the shutter the more dramatic and nice looking the image will be.

Last weekend I was shooting drifting and I was using everything from 1/20s-1/125s. Heres a comparison between a 1/80s pan and a 1/30s pan. Look at the wheels. The amount of keepers I got at 1/30s was significantly less than at 1/80, mind you. :o

5. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

Canon 70-200 f2.8

this was teh first time out since i got the advice

6. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

another thing I wanted to ask,
    approx what shutter speeds am i looking at using for approx what speeds?

i would post up this pic that phi dong took but i cant ul it :o

7. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Thanks for the tips. I guess it is really one of those practice makes perfect things. :cooL;

8. sony

sony Active Member

Good advice. :p

9. sony

sony Active Member

The rule of thumb is 1/(speed of vehicle). I agree and disagree with this. Well, rules are meant to be broken so it's fine that I disagree.

If a car is moving 150mph, to get the wheels to spin "theoretically" a 1/150s should be fine. You can get the wheels spinning at 1/250s and get more keepers or drag the shutter at 1/80s and make it more dramatic. Which is better? It depends what you're looking for.

Some people posted my pictures on a site and about 5 of them started to agree that I

[​IMG]
    1/80s

[​IMG]
    1/60s

[​IMG]
    1/30s

You can see how the the car gets more and more isolated after each shutter speed gets slower. It's more dramatic. Is it better? That's up to you and the viewer to decide. A slower pan has a place and time in the photographer's toolbox. I was doing the slow pan on these cars partly because the banners and judging stand in the back as well as the stands and people were so distracting to the background and partly because I usually pan at faster speeds and needed the practice.

If you aren't nailing your shots, don't worry too much about it. If you're trying to sell your pans, then maybe you should speed up the shutter speed a bit and get more keepers. DON'T EXPECT EVERY SINGLE SHOT YOU TAKE TO COME OUT GOOD. MINE DON'T

At 1/30s I probably get 1 in every 15 pictures as a keeper. What is a keeper? I define a keeper as a photograph in which you can read the decals on the car at 100%.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *note: i didn't throw these away because of sensor dust or ue, those are fixable.. the focus and pan are horrible :riaa:

You create the persona people perceive you to be by the pictures you share with them. If you get 1 out of 50 pans that come out good, take 200 and post 4.

Just judging by your pictures I'm seeing now though, you're starting to get a lot better at the pan. Panning is a fundamental technique in motorsports. After you get that down, you can start getting more creative. ;)

Oh and on the subject of sensor dust. These pics are from the practice :riaa: my sensor was covered with dust and I had to blow it off for the second day. If you have a lot of sensor dust, keep in mind that when you pan in daylight you'll have to stop down a lot to get the shutter speeds you want unless you're using a lot of polarizers/nd filters to cut light.

10. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

re: phidong

thanks for the info, i took 300 pics that day :o
    i onlyn post up the ones i thought were best. here are some of the crappier ones. you should IM me sometime, annularng ;)

it was getting dark too, so i had to keep adusting my aperture, made it harder to focus too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. sony

sony Active Member

Some of those shots look like it's out of focus more than motion blur (caused by bad panning). :o

12. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Why do people think it's clever to ride a motor bike with just a t-shirt on? Have you seen what happens when you come off with just a t-shirt? :sadwavey:

13. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

the cam doesnt want to focus for some reason :hsd: i've got it on ai servo and have it focused in the center of the viewfinder, then i track the guy as he moves by

any tips on focusing correctly :o it was also dusk, so the lights were throwing shit off when he flew by

14. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

dont tell me, im just the photographer

and yes,we know, leavve it at that

15. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

:eek3: thanks :o just go out and try, you dont get better if you dont try...i bet the next set i post up will be sweet...i want to get a pan of a dude in a wheelchair :mamoru:

oh..and the pics i posted up, like 3 are OK, 10 would be cool if they were in focus, and the other 287 (yeah, i took 300....) were just crap

16. sony

sony Active Member

What camera/lens are you using again?

17. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

If this had been focused better it would have been stunning, i love the compostion!

18. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

1d, canom 70-200 2.8