A&P Pics - Critique? Tips?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by macadamiaman, Nov 7, 2005.

1. macadamiaman

macadamiaman New Member

Not a photography student or anything but I love taking pictures. I just don't really know what to do with them afterward.. here's some that I like, taken within the last couple months (mostly over the summer), completely unmodified: (link to originals)

1:
    [​IMG]

2:
    [​IMG]

3:
    [​IMG]

4:
    [​IMG]

5:
    [​IMG]

6:
    [​IMG]

7:
    [​IMG]

8:
    [​IMG]

9:
    [​IMG]

10:
    [​IMG]

11:
    [​IMG]

12:
    [​IMG]

13:
    [​IMG]

Feel free to rip completely into them.. things you like, don't like? Tips? etc... I'm not offended by anything, I'm just a complete amateur looking to get better :)

cameras used: mostly the DSC-W5, last four are Dimage Z6 (sucks), and #2 is a Nikon D70 (can you tell? ooooh I want one :))

oh and, rest of my random stuff is at http://brandeis.edu/~daan/albumsindex.htm
    ...just for fun stuff, these pictures are mostly taken out of those JAlbums

2. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

hum..... nice work, but let me note something, ok??

#1. make it BW, i think it will make it more impacting

#4. if it were back lit it would make it much more interesting.

#5. The white area directs the eye right to it, which distracts it from the main focus of the image.

#13. it's not visually interesting, maybe if it were lit (?), or Rule of thirds might work a little better on it.

I love your use of DOF, and the rest of the images are very visually pleasing.
    I love the lighting on # 13, I like your croping very much too; you have a good eye, keep up the good work!!!

3. Jenny Jenn

Jenny Jenn New Member

I think these are pretty good! I like 9 and 12 because the dof is nice. Also like the person above me, you should look up the rule of thirds, which will help a lot for some of these.

4. viva hate

viva hate Guest

First off thanks for posting your pics, if what I say is harsh it is not to put you down, honesty is the greatest compliment. Remember, I have taken the time to look at and to think about your work.

Pic 1. I know what a checkout looks like, I see this view every time I go grocery shopping.

Pic 2. Men with glasses standing to close
    are not interesting.

Pic 3. It's upside down, so what ?

Pic 4. Think more about your background when you take this kind of shot
    As an aside I do some photo printing for this guy, try and figure out how he shoots his work. http://www.sandrabyrongallery.com.au/site/frontviewBrowseArtistContent.asp?page=1&pid=0&ArtistID=75

Pic 5. The light area draws the eye because the dark area is of no great interest.

Pic 6. Yeah, could be great. Wait for the shot or set it up, imagine how a bike about to overtake would look in the mirror.

Pic 7. Don't know about this one.

Pic 8. Insects are fabulously detailed, this one is'nt.

Pic 9. I like.

Pic 10. If you are going to do a cliched shot then make sure you do a damned good job of it.

Pic 11. Perhaps finding an angle that did'nt give just a mirror image would give this more interest, and half the frame is dead space.

Pic 12. I like.

Pic 13. As in pic 4, looking at the background could have helped this.

5. Rotate

Rotate New Member

The picture of the girl holding the coin is great.

6. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

I'm no pro but I think your shots show some great potential. You've got some good ideas, you just need to hone your technique.

7. presidente

presidente New Member

I only like 9 and 12

8. CRC

CRC New Member

I agree with this poster

9. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

Is picture 6 an SC?

10. macadamiaman

macadamiaman New Member

What do you mean by SC?

Thanks for all the feedback.. this forum seems to love the style of 9 and 12 - a style I like to take myself but often don't simply because I thought it was kinda corny... hehe. I guess I'll develop that a little more, keep taking pictures and stuff, have fun with it.