Pickup with lowest gas consumption

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deXtroid101, Jan 20, 2008.

1. deXtroid101

deXtroid101 New Member

Hey you guys!
    In the days of rising gas prices, it has become totally unaffordable for us Europeans (car and gas prices are THREE times as high as in the US, so stop complaing :hsd:) to even think about getting a truck. And seriously, a powerful truck is awesome but most people don't really need it. They just get a pickup for the looks :cool:, not for its power. So actually there is no reason for a truck to consume tons of expensive gas.
    Finally, my question:
    Are there any fuel efficient trucks out there? Or is it possible to get a pickup with a "normal" engine built in so that it doesn't need so much gas?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what do you consider a "normal" engine? In the US the Nissan Frontier gets the VQ which is an engine block that is also used in the Altima, Maxima, Quest, etc -- which are all "normal" cars and minivans. However, it's still purpose-modified for a truck.

The major offender for trucks getting not-so-hot fuel economy is that a truck is generally turning larger wheels (more rolling resistance), rear wheel drive is less fuel efficient than front wheel drive, and truck bodies are much less fuel efficient than the suppository-like car body designs that you euros crave.

So in the end, a car will always beat a truck in fuel economy. However, the dis-advantages for fuel economy are huge advantages for those that need a truck. The brick-like truck body may not be aerodynamic but it makes getting in/out very easy, as well as carrying your cargo. Likewise, big tires may not be the easiest to turn, but they are more robust at resisting the elements and allow you to go places passenger tires can't go.

I think the best fuel economy you find from a pickup is going to be a small pickup, with a medium-sized diesel engine. And let me fully express myself that I do *not* think that a small engine is the best option. No no no. I know from experience that a V6 and V8 will get similar fuel economy in the same chassis -- even though the V8 is much more powerful; this is because the overall weight is similar and it's the same aerodynamics and rolling resistance. Plus engine efficiency plays a huge part. For example, my buddy got a I4 in his Mitsubishi small SUV. He did so thinking that it would beat the V6 in fuel economy. He totally regrets that move. In addition to being gutless, it actually gets WORSE fuel economy than the V6. The V6 doesn't have to strain itself to move the vehicle, so it's working in its power-band -- being the better choice.

To sum everything up, look for something along the lines of a Toyota Hilux with a 3.0L diesel. I think that will give you the best compromise of function and economy. You're also lucky because people like me (in the US) would kill for that configuration but we don't have it.... In EU you guys have lots of em.

3. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

disregard this post, im an idiot

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I suggest you try reading a little harder. He's in Europe and things are different over there. He's not gonna get away from the emissions crap no matter what.

Plus, your big-ass Cummins is NOTHING like what he's looking for. Go research the yota 3L 4D.

5. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

D'OH

reading > me

6. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

i really do feel bad for our european friends across the pond :hs: big wasteful trucks are FTW :bowdown:

7. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Hell, only truck I'd think of as "fuel efficient" is the tacos. I know the ranger gets only slightly better than a f-1, so it's out of the question.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

A 2007 3.0 D4D Hilux will set you back apx 75k dollars around here :(
    The 2.5D configuration is far far more common and affordable, but it's still more than 50k.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well you're in the yota sack-riders group then... because the frontier is more efficient than the tacoma.

10. Kortiz-DZ

Kortiz-DZ Resident Nigerian Lipper OT Supporter

From what I've read, the Tacoma gets better gas mileage than the Frontier

Any reading material to show differing information would be much appreciated.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

customtacos is a tacoma forum and there was a thread a few months back with all the info.