SRS Picking up the Pieces

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Elektra, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Elektra

Elektra New Member

I apologize in advance if this is a repost.
    I am asking for rather personal reasons which I don't wish to share at this moment. We are all individuals with unique tastes and I respect that, call me crazy but I find that it has a certain eloquence. It takes guts to expose your feelings to others regardless of the circumstances. Before I go any further and you fine people write me off as an official nut job this is my point.

What do you do/have done when you are faced with adversity, a challenge, bad news ? Your deepest darkest fears are realized...How did you get through the whole ordeal? Your thoughts/feelings what were they? What did you do?
    (call it whatever you will, I have to believe you know what I'm talking about)

2. teo

teo . => ? => !

I grieve, then I pick myself up and do what's necessary. Dwelling on the past or even the present isn't going to make the future any better. I accept that what's happened has happened, and then I find the most appropriate way to deal with it.

More details about your situation would be helpful - my reply would be less vague. :)

3. johan

johan Active Member

Your question couldn't be any more oblique, could it? ;)

But in general, you're asking how others deal with a trial, a trial great enough that you start to doubt your ability to succeed, or even to continue on.

You can turn to your friends for support.
    They may not even understand what you're going through, but they don't have to. Sometimes a hand on your shoulder when you're down, is enough to help you collect yourself and forge ahead.

You can turn to writings for guidance.
    You can read about your situation and find insight into how to best navigate from where you are to where you want to be.

You can turn to yourself for strength.
    Realize that you have it within yourself to live on. There is nothing so bad that cannot be rebuilt from. In fact sometimes having your entire world destroyed is a blessing in disguise. It frees you from the barriers, walls, and limitations of your previous existence.

Think of it as a clean sheet of paper -- unasked for -- but thrust upon you anyways.
    You get to start over fresh. How many people have that opportunity. And yes, it is an opportunity and not a curse.

It all depends on what YOU make of it.

4. Elektra

Elektra New Member

I understand what you are saying. :) My request was more for specifics...say whatever it is that you do Specifically. Like for instance when I get into a fight my bf, I can't just walk away...I have to talk it out. Unless he pushes me away then I'll leave and go listen to some music..to cheer myself up.

I'm interested in knowing what your PROCESS is..how you get through it all.

5. Elektra

Elektra New Member

I was going to ignore the fact that barely anyone answered my thread(thanks to those who did). Then I thought about it and I admit it bothers me a little that noone seems to want to share. Everyone cares enough to give their opinion of other people's problems but not enough to make a positive contribution unless someone is depressed? I original created this thread to allow people to see that we all have our fare share and maybe ways to be able to vent them in a positive manner...

6. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I turned to music. Both writing it with friends or listening to my CDs. Music has always had the power to change my moods and in some of my darkest of times it's carried me out.

I've always relied on myself to get myself out of adversity. I get feelings of being mighty pissed off at the world and something inside me steps up and says "Screw you, I'll show the world you can't get me down"

And in most cases, I've succeeded.

Lately however, only within the past year or so things toppled over each other a little bit and I felt like this time I couldn't handle. I decided to let my guard down a bit and lean on family and friends for guidance and help....and I have been pleasantly surprised at how comforting that is.

Who would have thought my younger brother would suddenly become a big hero to me in my worst times.

7. johan

johan Active Member

Most people think in very specific ways. Your original question was really general.

Yeah, I suppose people could write back "I talk to my friends", or "I turn to drink" or "I drown myself in work", i.e. very vague general responses.

But most people want to give back specific answers to specific questions. Like "she cheated on me, how do you trust again?"

Or another example: some guy asked his boss to assign me to work on trig stuff for this touchscreen app -- he stares at me, but I actually really like him. How can I let him know if I'm too shy to talk about it?

In other words, most peeps prefer content to process. In mbti-speak, it's the S/N dimension.

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Hope for the best , prepare for the worst. When your worst nightmare becomes a reality, you try to sail your ship thru the storm into the right direction, despite being thrown into all kinds of places by force of the wind and the waves at sea. You and your ship might end up in a wreckage, but at least you tried, and if you live to tell the tale, then its repairing time afterwards, your ship maby never be in the same condition as it was, but as long as its sail-worthy then it's worth giving it another try.

9. Elektra

Elektra New Member

well thanks for your efforts...thanks to those who shared a bit of their lives no matter how mundane your personally may think it is, I appreciate it's worth. It lets me know I'm not alone.

10. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Everythings gonna be alright... in the long run things always work out, dont worry; it may take time, but things will be good someday.