GUN Picking up brass for reload

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlobeGuy, Mar 30, 2008.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

So I'm picking up brass for reloading. And saw an indentation on a .223 and a scratch on 9mm brass. Are these fit for reloading?

I also picked up some 5.56x45 brass, can I reload those brass to .223 spec?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Dented = no reload for you AFAIK

3. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Those will reload fine

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

but will they shoot :mamoru:

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yes on the 9, maybe on the 223.

For pistol brass as long as it's not cracked or show signs of over pressure you should be fine. I tumble all the brass and then reload it. After I load the brass I tumble it again to remove any case lube, and to check for loose primer pockets (caused by over pressure, or brass being reload too many times). Any loose primers shake out during tumbling. After tumbling I case gauge all the rounds. This makes sure that the rounds will chamber in the gun. If the round sticks or fails to drop in the case guage it gets pulled out. I've found that cracked cases generally do not fit in the case guage so this helps weed them out. Also because you are handling each round you have a good chance of catching cracked or split cases. I reload over 50,000 rounds a year and I've not had problems with cracked cases getting by. All the ammo that fails my QC check get thrown in a bucket and later I pull the bullet and recover the power. The brass gets recycled for $$$. (a 5 gallon bucket is $100 in my parts.)

Now rifle brass is a little different. I find that it is so labor intensive to prep the cases that I save myself time by going through all the cases before hand. A 223 case like you showed "maybe" ok, but I don't bother with it. A lot of work for a maybe. I toss all those maybe cases into the "recycling" brass.

Oh and save your spent primers. Those can be recycled too.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

opps forgot a step. After I case guage all the ammo I drop them in those 50 or 100 round ammo boxes. These hold all the rounds head stamp up. This way I can inspect all the primers to make sure there are no upside down, smeared, sideways, or high primers. I also look at the headstamps and look for signs of over pressure. If you can't read the writing on the headstamp chances are it was overpressured at some point. Those get pulled as mentioned above.

If for some reason you want to just throw loaded ammo away or recycle it. Drop it in a pan of motor oil. Make sure the rounds are completely submerged. This will cause the round to be inert, and it can be more safely disposed of. Now I don't do this myself as I want to recover the components. I definately reuse the bullets, but probably as practice ammo as opposed to match ammo. The power sometimes get used as home made fireworks or again for practice ammo

7. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

I need to devise a good way to catch the brass as i shoot it. Tracking down brass on the ground ftl...

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

[​IMG]

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i typically pick it up each time i go through 2 mags

at least with an AR i can get a brass catcher :o

10. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I lost so many 9mm today, so many ended up behind the dude next lane.

11. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Thanks yar, these steps definitely help. :bigthumb:

12. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

What's a headstamp?

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

[​IMG]

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

head stamp is the back of the case that has the writing on it. Example Winchester 9mm luger.

If you can't read it or it looks really bad don't reload it.

15. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

:bigthumb:

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've seen some things before that look like aquarium nets, you hold it to the grip and the little net sits over the ejection port to catch your pistol brass. It seems like they're probably pretty handy....

17. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Yeah, that's the way we do it. Makes for a damned easy clean-up. A tarp and a 5-gallon bucket go a LONG WAY. Just get two people, do a half-fold, and let the shit collect iteslf in the bucket. Doesn't get much easier. Granted, a little mexican kid WOULD be easier, but then you'd have to pay the little fucker.

18. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Yeah, my AR puts little dents in each of the cases it ejects.

19. texchef

texchef Guest

The range i go to has a brass catcher built into the booth and itall drops into a bucket. Most people don't take their brass and I snag it from my booth and the ones on either side of me. Today i snagged about 30lbs of brass and it took me about 2 hours to sort out all the 9mm. The rest i have sitting in a box. I got tons of 45, 40, 38spl, .380 just sittng in a box. Haven't found a local recycler yet but I'll probably keep it.

The other range I go to has brooms and most folks sweep it inder the shooting tables. I sweep it back out and load it into gallon ziplocks.

I'd be more than happy to send you guys mixed brass....for a fee. :naughty:

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

21. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

30lbs? WTF? Id be going to every signle booth, taking the ones I wanted and selling rest for scrap price

22. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Is it a bad form to take the pile of brass the other people pushed past the red line in the lane you are in? Of course, I will take a broom and sweep it inside the red line. :mamoru:

23. texchef

texchef Guest

The buckets are mixed fom everyone who was there before me. I'm trying not to be a dick so I wait for the people next to me to leave. It's nothing asking someone for their buckets though. The range also resells the brass that no one takes.

Like AB13 said in another thread: you don't take it then it's fair game. If I see someone else snaggin brass and I'm sweeping or collecting buckets then I split with them.

24. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'd be happy to take some of that 45 ACP brass off your hands. :x: My press should be coming in on wed.

25. Fireball

Fireball OT Supporter

Do you sell your "recycle brass" or primers to some place that takes scrape for cash?