GUN Picking out a new knife

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vinegar, Nov 5, 2006.

1. vinegar

vinegar add some zing! to your steak

So I got a few in mine, including the BenchMade griptillian, sog x-ray mini, spyderco delica. I primarily want one thats easily concealed (i have a small frame) the xray would fit this because of the clip design, and ill use it for daily things and defense if need be (obviously). My major concerns are its smoothness when opening, quality of the edge, and overall feel. I've heard the x-ray mini's zytel handle is too light and cheap feeling.
    Any help is appreciated

2. ahead

ahead New Member

[​IMG]

Kershaw Leek

got one a few weeks ago, couldnt be happier with it. favorite knife ive owned so far. the speed assist is an awesome feature, and its cheaper than the knife you mentioned

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Spyderco delica wave maybe? I carry an endura wave.

4. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I would look into the CRKT M16 series if I were you, a lot of people have them and for good reason. They are very easy to carry since they are thin and dont have any really sharp angles or edges to snag on anything. That was actually one of the main reasons I got it since my SOG Flash II was kind of bulky. Also for ease of opening its hard to beat the carson flipper and the blade seems to hold up very well.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

+1

6. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

I use a BM Mini Grip and love it. The CRKT M16 are great knives as well and you can't really go wrong in choosing them. I just like the feel of the BM.

7. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I'm partial to the Grips as well. I carried a CRKT M21 prior and it was a nice knife, just not as fast opening and I'm not sold on liner locks. The Griptilian opens fast and you can't get any stronger than an Axis lock.

8. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I've handled a few benchmades and they all felt really nice, in fact the next knife I'm going to get will either be a 550s a 943SBK or possibly a 530. I've also played with an M21 and agree it isnt as fast, in fact it was noticeably slower than my M16 for some reason. Also while the LAWKS system is pretty smart and hasnt failed me yet unlike several other liner locks I've had I do agree that the Axis lock is one of the best designs out there. I guess everyone should just have one of each.

9. vinegar

for those of you using the griptilian, are you using the combo edge or is the straight blade more useful

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Well, I have both on me most days. I have a combo edge 551, and a plain edge Ritter. If I could only have 1 grip it would likely be either a Ritter, or if money was tight a newer 551 in 154CM steel.

11. vinegar

just placed my order for an olive drab plain edge black telfon.

12. vinegar

i had to pay a lil extra because its discontinued and sold out everywhere ($93)