MMA picking a new gym..

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SHORTSHIFTER, Dec 1, 2009.

1. SHORTSHIFTER

SHORTSHIFTER Old School Lurker

so my membership expired at my current gym but at the same time a cheaper gym opened in the same area...

my current gym www.revmma.com cost around $1200 a year
    we have a black belt instructor for bjj and some other kickboxing and boxing instructors... but my main focus is bjj

as it stands there are about 8-9 blue belts at my revmma no one higher than blue.

i am a senior member of the club, i have been there for a while and have a alot of friends at this gym

but a new place opened up down the street grantbrothersmma.com

this place is $950 for the year plus their bjj instructor is wagney fabiano (my first bjj instuctor)

but it seems i am one of the most experienced guys at the gym at the moment, but since it is wagney teaching, i was told more advanced guys were bound to show up....

so what is more important?
    who you train with? (your training partners)
    who trains you? (your instructor)

2. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Black belt instruction at either place is pretty much a wash. Yes, Wagney is a "name" but black belt instruction is wonderful anywhere.

Training partners? This helps. For me, unless people are terrible, it's not a make or break deal. Sometimes new partners push you differently and the change is a good thing.

For me - the MAIN factor is the academy itself. The atmosphere. The goals for the academy. The way that the instructor treats people, the way that classes are run, how long the classes are and how the schedule fits.

$250 is a lot of cash to save but if it's not "broke" - it doesn't need to be fixed. I'd look into the location, see how classes are run at both and see what is a better fit for you and your schedule.

3. prophit

prophit OT Supporter

ask yourself where you'd train more and go there. :dunno:

4. roose

roose Guest

seems like the reason to stay with your current club.

just check out grant bros. for a few drop in classes every once in awhile. ;)

5. SHORTSHIFTER

i've been to the classes, and i enjoy both gyms equally

at revmma i kinda get lost in the crowd... there are like 30 people in class sometimes... but there are more blues for me to train with

but at grants it is much smaller class sizes... at teh moment it is like 7-9 students but are all fairly new... but the instructor is able to give me more one on one time... plus he has taken me under his wing already

fuck i donno ... i have till December 10th to decide

6. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

One on one time is priceless.

7. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

Dave Mair teaches wrestling there?
    Thats pretty awesome.

8. SHORTSHIFTER

oh and the new place will allow me to train pretty much everyday ..
    while the old place only had bjj on Mondays Thursdays and Saturdays

9. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

done deal right there.

mat time > *

10. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

as long as the instructor is going to teach you new things or help you refine and improve the things you already do well. thats all you need from the instructor.

mat time is the main purpose of the gym.
    i went to a subpar gym for almost a year just because it was next door to work and i could easily get there to train everyday and i could afford it.
    best choice i ever made.

also, do your best to be on good terms with both places. hopefully you can get a change of pace when you need it by visiting the other gym and paying a mat fee to drill some stuff or train at an open mat.

im shopping new gyms as well until january, right now i have about 4-5 gyms that im rotating training with until then.

11. SHORTSHIFTER

i dont plan on burning bridges at the old place...i am pretty sure i'll be able to leave on good terms... i am going to do alot of drop ins to keep in touch with my "team".

plus i figure i can use my drop in time to better gauge my progression

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009