GUN picking a knife: for everyday personal defense (legal) ...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by socks, Aug 1, 2004.

1. socks

socks Guest

i'd like something that is legal (maryland), no real budget -- i feel protection of this sort is priceless .. i live in a fairly bad neighborhood during school so i'd like something that I could defend myself with if need be .. i was looking at the Wave Feature Mini CQC-7B (http://www.emersonknives.com/MiniCQC7BW.html).

try and keep in mind i'd want to carry it with me everywhere, so it can't be too heavy/overbearing .. gotta be concealable.

thanks for the suggestions!

btw: are 'auto' knives legal?

2. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Have you used the Emerson wave feature? My personal experience with this particular feature and the CQC series is that it only works while you're wearing jeans, and the metal protrusion actually wears down your pants in that area. I use my knife quite a few times a day anywhere from 5-20 times a day depending on whether I decide to get off my ass and actually work. The wave feature only worked for about 1.5-2 months of non-consistent use before my favorite jeans got worn out at that spot. The locking mech. is great on the emersons however I'm not too fond of the action on them (this maybe due to the fact I didn't put more than 2 months on any Emerson). My favorite EDC knife is the Small Sebenza from Chris Reeves.
    Also automatics are not legal in most states for non-LE, also be careful because even spring-assisted knives are not legal in certain states (the small sebenza is a good for carry in most states).
    Just my 2 cents.
    Nimesh

I've got a wave featured CQC-7B BTS if you wanna buy it....

3. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

'Auto' knives are not legal in most states. I don't know about MD.

'The wave' is exactly as blkgs4 describes. Personally I'd do without it.

I own a full-size and mini CQC7 and like them but there are better knives for the same or less money. My advice is to look at Columbia River (CRKT). Great features on good knives for the price. Their LAWKs system is a nice thing to have for liner locks.

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

It's a little hook on the back of the blade that catches on your pocket and opens the blade as you draw.

5. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

My choice and my daily carry... SOG as mentioned in the previous thread. By far the best feeling assisted open I've tried. Also on it is a blade lock so the blade cannot be accidentally opened.

SOG Flash II (3.5" blade) with the low profile clip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Yeah maybe I need to buy better jeans, but I've never got the thing to hook on khakis. How about you?

7. socks

socks Guest

i opted for the kershaw avalanche, i read some reviews and ppl on the board seem to be very pleased with its performance .. can't wait till it gets here, hope i made the right decision :)

thanks guys

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, i LOVE my avalanche. especially after i figured out how to unlock the fucking blackout without touching the lock. i nearly severed my finger. it seems as though when you're trying to put the tip through something tough, if you twist the knife, the plastic sides give, and the blade shifts a lot. a lot, meaning enough to let the liner lock UNlock. and since you're putting pressure on the tip, if you're doing it in the right direction, it's going to close. it nearly took my left finger off at the middle knuckle.

the avalanche, however, is made of G10 and metal, not plastic. it DOESN'T flex like that, even when you loosen the pivot screw all the way up (i did that this morning to make sure it wouldn't do what my blackout did even under the most extreme crap).

9. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I got mine a couple weeks ago and I love it.

G10 > Grips

10. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Possibly, but in the end its just not consistent for me; still a great knife in the end though.

11. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

knife for protection?? Ever bring a knife to a gun fight :big grin:

12. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Ever go any place you can't bring your gun?

13. sextech

sextech New Member

i perfer my spyderco merlin i can open it faster than my auto knives

14. pl_silverado

pl_silverado OT Supporter

Well, i got a Kershaw Whirlwind for free , but i sorta misplaced it, or lost it, or someone stole it. All i know is i cant find it. Sucks, its an 70 dollar knife.

So today i bought another one, Kershaw Blur. $ 80 :( , but i wanted a knife. Im not used to not carrying one. I bet im gonna find that damn whirlwind any day now, after i spent 80 on a replacement.

Whirlwind: MIA
    [​IMG]

Blur: Replacement
    [​IMG]

15. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

16. pl_silverado

its US. :(

i could have gotten it cheaper, but i just put it on my tool account, :big grin:

17. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

18. pl_silverado

^ not serrated.

19. Goat

serrations aren't a $40 option :o

20. pl_silverado

I know.....but i didnt pay for it. I put it on my tab.

Paying for it later > Paying for it now.

21. socks

socks Guest

i <3 my avalanche, but i'm scared if i had to stab someone it would come closed on my fingers .. probubly should get a fixed blade ..

22. Goat

I love my Avalanche, the lock's a hell of alot stronger than the lock on my Boker. If you want a folder with a strong lock, Cold Steel puts some serious locks on their folders. I have a Voyager Gunsite II with a lock that's been rated at 95lbs of pressure :eek3:

23. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the avalanche won't close on you, especially on a poking/stabbing motion. your fear should come from a twisting motion, where you're more likely to unlock a liner-lock. i tried to make it do that, and it won't, unless you actually mean to unlock it. you're going to cut yourself from your hand sliding down the blade during a stab before you'll do it with the blade closing. however, if you fear closing by accident, benchmade makes THE strongest locking mechanism on the market, the axis lock.

24. socks

socks Guest

awesome info in here guys, thanks

25. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

i almost bought a SOG Flash II on saturday. i was at a hunting/fishing store looking at new reels and i went over and help the flash II and loved it. i would have bought it if i was allowed to take it with me to basic training.