GUN Picked up my first handgun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amill94, Dec 16, 2005.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Hey guys, I've been looking around for a decent starter gun for basic range shooting and to get myself into the hobby. I wanted to start off inexpensive, and was looking at the Ruger P89T. I checked it out in person and also saw the Smith & Wesson SW9VE. I liked that the SW came with 15 round mags, vs the single 10 round mag of the Ruger. They guy at the shop also said both were great for a starter gun. I picked up the SW. Haven't fired it yet, but will head to the range later to fire some rounds through it. What do you guys think? If I really get into this as a hobby I want to pick up a better quality 9mm very soon.

PICS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got it for $299. Picked up 100 rounds for it, a gun cleaning kit and some ear plugs.

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

you did good. the VE is supposed to be pretty good.. hows the trigger on it?

also, if you dont wear glasses, get some shooting glasses as well..

safety first..

:bigthumb:

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

IBitsnotaglockitscrap

I had a P-89T for my first gun, I liked it.

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I can't wait to fire this later today.

This may sound like a stupid question...but I've never been to a firing range. My parents lived way out in the sticks and we shot on our land. I'm going to a range tonight. Its indoor. Is it cool for me to just bring the gun in the blue plastic case the gun came with? Any basic things I should know before I get there. I don't want to piss someone off by doing something wrong. The place I called charges $12/hr and its .25-.95cents a target.

Other question. When I store the weapon is it ok to store it with the slide pulled back, or should I keep it stored with the slide closed?

Also, what kind of kick-back if any will I feel with this gun? I have fired rifles, but the only handgun I ever fired was a .22 handgun, which was like a pellet gun.

I read the manual and can't wait to hit the range.

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

You could use the blue plastic case. ONE THING WITH THE RANGE.. IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ASK!!! dont be afraid, its better to ask then to do something stupid. tell the people you just bought it and are new and htey might give you some pointers
    When storing the weapon I would close the slide, I store my XD slide closed with magazine outside the gun, and remember when you pick it up, check to amke sure its not loaded... you probably know the gun handling rules.
    9mm recoil isnt bad by any means, a little more than a .22 but hardly a .44mag

6. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Thanks.
    :bigthumb:

I'll let ya know how it went when I get back tonight.

7. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

I've had one for years, and have NEVER had an issue with it. I've put 1000's of rounds through it with no problems. I don't expect much out of a $300 glock rip off though. I mainly use it now for range plinking, and teaching others to shoot, since it has a great consistent trigger pull.

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

i carry my glock in its original plastic case :dunno:

and stored slide closed, less tension on the spring.

recoil shouldnt be a problem at all

9. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Well I went to the range for the first time tonight. I fired 150 rounds through the gun. I really like the feel of the trigger. The range I went to was pretty decent. Only problem was I ran out of rounds since I only brought 100, and I had to buy 50 from the range. They only had ones that the guy at the range had made himself. They sucked ass, I used a clip of them, then left to buy some ammo at a store. They threw spark from the front of the gun, and also carboned up the front of the gun. I'm going back tomorrow with a friend of mine. He just picked up a Ruger tonight after shooting a few rounds with my gun.

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

From all the bad stories I've heard, I'd never shoot someone elses reloads.

If you have an Academy Sports around you, then you can get the CCI blazer 9mm for a little less than $4 for 50. It's what I've started to shoot since a friend told me about it.

And congrats on the gun. It's addicting.

11. demusn79

demusn79 New Member

The trigger gets better after 4-5 hundred rounds.
    I luv my Sigma.40GVE

[​IMG]P.S. No Reloads!YIKES.

12. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:coold: S&W definitely improved over the old sigmas

13. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Ammo is usually expensive as hell at the range (at least the one I go to) so make sure you have plenty before you go :bigthumb:

14. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

for some good cheap range ammo, check out the winchester white box, UMC, blazer, and magtech.

I usually get the WWB at walmart, $11.47 or so per 100 rounds

15. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Wow you guys revived this thread so I don't have to maek a new one. My next question was about cheap bulk ammo for range use. I went to the range again yesterday. I plan to go tomorrow for two hours. My friend fired my gun and got the bug, so he picked up a Ruger. Anyway, about ammo. I have few gun shops around me, Army Navy and Cabelas. Army Navy has the Winchester white box 50 rounds for $8, and Cabelas had the same stuff for $7. But, I saw a huge bulk buy of ammo at Cabelas last night when I was there. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=9mm&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

$39.99 per 300 rounds.

Is this decent. I didn't know what to do so I just picked up some more whitebox, but at $8 per 50 its kinda expensive to shoot quite frequently. I have a walmart nearby, mabye I'll check out what they have.

Other question, does anyone know if the site is adjustable on this gun. The further away from the target I am, I find I have to aim up and to the right to hit the chest area. For reference I'm aiming at a target that is mabye 14x12 and has a red outline of person. At about 25 feet, I have to aim near head level and in the white blank portion of the paper to hit the center.

16. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

WWB at walmart sells for a little over $11 for a 100 round box, 115 gr FMJ. Which would be about $34-$35 or so for 300, cheaper than that cabelas special.

www.ammunitionstore.com always has good specials on 9mm..

other good ammo sites..

www.ammoman.com
    www.midwayusa.com
    www.sportsmansguide.com
    www.natchezss.com

as far as your sights.. if its your first handgun, I wouldnt mess with the sites just yet.. it may be YOU.. let an experienced shooter have a go at it, see where he/she hits.. or get some sandbags, and a rest, and try not to move the gun and see how you shoot it.. you might be jerking the trigger, or flinching.. do some dry-firing, get your trigger control down. your grip on the gun shouldnt change as you squeeze the trigger.. your grip and your trigger finger should be seperated from eachother, so you're not squeezing the gun harder when pulling the trigger..

id also recommend some professional training, if thats an option where you live.. break bad habits before they form.

also, another good idea to make sure you're not flinching, is get some snap caps and have your friend put some randomly in your mags, so when you pull the trigger, and it doesnt fire, you can see if you're flinching or not.

and heres a chart, you can print these out and use them as targets, will help you diagnose accuracy problems.

[​IMG]

17. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

another thing, your thumb should not be a primary grip on your gun.. you should be using your last 3 fingers, and your palm, and squeezing with those.. you should be able to wiggle your thumb and trigger finger around in the air, without your grip changing.. your thumb should simply be resting on the side of the gun.. as you can see in that chart, if you're using that thumb as a method of gripping, it will push the gun to the right

18. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Hey thanks for all the info. As far as my grip, I pretty much hold the gun with my bottom 2 fingers. My thumb and trigger finger are free from the rest. My middle finger is somewhat free. Anyway, I plan to take some classes, and hopefully someone else at the range can give it a few shots.

19. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I see..

I mainly use the last 3 fingers for grip, and sometimes if I loosen up my pinky, I shoot better..

but whatever works, obviously your hands and the grip angle of your gun will be different, etc etc.

20. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Another question too. When I was at Cabelas last night I picked up a few things. I got a new case b/c the one that the gun came with was too small to put anything else in besides the gun. I also picked up a Birchwood Casey gun and reel silicone cloth. It's supposed to polish, clean, and protect anything that is metal wood or plastic. I used it after the range yesterday and it cleaned off all the black on the front of the gun rather nicely. Is this a good substitue to use instead of the kerosene based cleaner that came in my gun cleaning kit? Also, I've shot 250 rounds through it, should I field strip the gun and oil up the lubrication points? Or should I wait until its had 1000 rounds through it?

21. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

the silicone cloths are nice to wipe the outside of your gun.. it gives it a nice shine, and the silicone is good for water dispersement/resistance.

however, it shouldnt be a method of cleaning your gun.. I just take that cloth over my gun now and then, shines and protects..

but you should be field stripping, cleaning, and oiling your gun on a regular basis according to the instruction manual. some people do it after every time they go out shooting.. I myself, clean my guns about once a month, unless I have them in the rain, then I'll be sure to clean and oil, and wipe down with the silicone.

and dont overdo the oil when lubricating your gun.. if you have too much, the powder residue from shooting will cake up and get thick in there..

just follow the manual :bigthumb:

22. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

well, optimally you shouldve cleaned and lubed before you shot it.. from the factory, they usually only come with some anti-seize compound, which is more of a long term storage lubricant..

im assuming you have a cleaning rod and patches?

23. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Yeah I have a complete Hoppe's 9 clenaing kit with patches, rod end accessories, phophor bronze brush, lubricating oil, and powder solvent.

I'm a little uneasy about taking the gun apart. It looks fairly easy, I just don't want assemble it wrong and have it break or something.

24. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

just follow the directions, and when you put the slide back on, just make sure its lined up on the rails..

if I can do it, anyone can do it.. :wiggle:

25. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

that'll be the first pistol i pick up when i turn 21. can't beat the price, and i've heard good things