GUN Picked up my first handgun...XD crew I got some questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Tycoon, May 11, 2008.

1. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

Ok, I've been in the Military for 4 years, been hunting since I was a kid, so I know a thing or two about rifles and shotguns, but pistols, nada.

I finally decided to treat myself to a pistol, and picked up the XD-40. So far I have only took it to the range twice, but every time I shoot, I am way off target. (25 feet) My shot group is usually to the left where I am aiming.

Now, could this be the way I'm shooting? Any ideas as to why I am shooting to the left? I did some google search and saw that adjusting the sights on an XD-40 is next to impossible.

Now, my last question is also for the concealed crew. Once I get really familiar with my XD, I am going to get a concealed license. What's a good holster for concealing?

:hsd:

Oh, obligatory picture: (from the range today, the SW is mine along with the XD obviously)

[​IMG]

2. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

There is some chart that says what you are most likely doing wrong depending on where your shots go, it'll get posted soon. For CCW I think most people go the M-tac or something like that, it seems to be the most popular.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

[​IMG]

Remember just to go slow, and not to jerk the trigger. Dry firing is also a great way to practice your trigger pull...Just make sure the gun is clear, and all ammo is in a different room :)

4. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

5. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

Thanks guys.

One thing I noticed I wasn't doing, was that I didn't have my arms extended all the way out.

So if I have "too little trigger finger", does that mean I shouldn't be using the tip of my finger?

6. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

I don't shoot with both arms locked. I feel like I lose significant control. If you are shooting left you are probably snapping the trigger. The thought is smooth continuous trigger pull without anticipating the shot. It takes practice...What size did you get?

7. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

Thanks. I did notice in a few pictures my friend took, my eyes were closed as I shot. Like I said, I'm still a little nervous I guess one could say, since I'm not familiar with pistols.

And I got the 4" .40 version :)

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

put the trigger in the pad of your finger (between the first joint and the tip) and slowly squeeze straight back while focusing on the front sight.

9. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Use snap caps. Have someone load your mag and put a snap cap randomly in it and shoot normally. When you hit the snap cap take note on what you did right before you pulled the trigger.

I never did this with a pistol but I did kinda the same thing with a .357 and it worked wonders.

10. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Look up the holster thread for options.

11. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Yup, that's an XD alright.