GUN Picked up a new knife.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crazybenf, Aug 31, 2008.

1. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

2. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Not a fan of tantos, or serrations for that matter, but I had a Blur and it was an excellent knife. I lost mine on the side of I-95 one night, though :(

3. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

local represent. I4 exit 114 here. :coold:

4. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

That's DeLand/Deltona, right?

5. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

:hs: yup.

6. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Mine didn't hold its blade for shit, and the clip bent early on, it's now missing the tip of the blade as well. I carry a Benchmade now.

7. natelam

natelam New Member

I've had a Kershaw Blackout with the assist for over 10 years and works flawlessly still.

8. i have the blur, not 'tactical' whatever that means. its a great knife and i use it all the time.

9. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

:rofl: No idea what makes this one tacticool.

10. ImAcracker

ImAcracker Fuck Censorship of any kind.

I have that knife except mine has a curved tip. Got it about a month ago. I fucking love mine so far.

11. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

I've carried my red Blur, straight edge for about 2 years straight every day and every day to work as an EMT. Stays sharp a long fucking time, the action is still tight and strong (even better than those automatic Bokers) and that traction stuff in there is still good.

Only problem I had was the clip screws walked out and I lost one, I emailed kershaw and they sent me a whole new clip assembly and brand new screws. loctited them and havent had a problem since.

12. Hooch

Hooch New Member

I have the Blur straight edge, use it daily as well, mine is so beat to shit that the black blade is now almost silver, great knife.

13. kershaw is excellent when it comes to customer service. i sent them an email about wanting to change the clip on it to carry with the knife point facing down in my pocket.

they responded by sending me a screwdriver for their screws and loctite and a little key chain carrying case for the screwdrivers.

14. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I love Ken Onion knives. I've owned two Avalanches, one Blackout, and I'm on my second Tactical Blur. The Blackout was shit. I bought it because it was a cheap replacement when I lost my second Avalanche. It lasted a little while, but it was never a good knife.

The handle is slick. It's not grippy at all. If it's wet, it's dangerous. If you ever have to twist the knife while it's open, you could crack the seam between the two plastic halves of the handle. This also gives enough slack in the handle for play in the blade and liner lock. When I had this thing, I could induce failures in the liner lock by twisting the open blade, or by prying with it. The handle would spread, allowing the rear of the blade to pass right by the lock and close. Bad juju.

EVERY SINGLE Kershaw assisted opener I've owned has broken at least one torsion spring. I used to replace them when they broke, but I've found that on every single one, the blade opens just as smoothly and easily without the spring as with. They're that well designed. However: they do not STAY closed as easily without the spring. The blade is somewhat loose without the torsion spring to hold it closed. It doesn't fall open, but it could jiggle open a little bit if it weren't clipped to your pocket. My current Tactical Blur has been with me for a couple years now, and it's worked well. I've broken the tip off, broken the torsion spring, and filled it with more pocket lint than I could set on fire, but I still carry it every day.

Kershaw customer service is awesome. When you break a torsion spring (and you probably will), they'll send you another for free. If you send them the knife, they'll put it in. It wasn't hard the two times I did it myself. If you break one, it'll just rattle inside the knife, and will not likely cause any problems.

I met Ken Onion at SHOT one year and asked him about why the springs break so often. He said that most normal knife owners just carry a knife. They open it only when they need it, and then put it back in their pocket. Most assisted opener owners play with their knives, constantly opening and closing the knives, feeling the assist. I found this to be very true for me, and the direct cause of the failure of every torsion spring I've broken. I have cycled my knives countless times more than they would ever be cycled in my lifetime if I only opened them when I actually used them.