GUN pick my next gun: Savage 10FP McMillan or RRA 20" varminter

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by krott5333, Dec 3, 2005.

1. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

What do you want to do with it?

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

shoot paper at long range, with the ability to take down a person now and then if need be :hsugh:

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

.50bmg rifle FTW

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Get the RRA. It will be more fun to shoot at paper.

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

thats what I was thinking..

any recommendations on a scope, variable power, preferably up to 14x or 16x, for under $500?

I was thinking Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5-16.5 x 44

$399 :dunno:

or the Monarch UCC 6.5-20 x 44, with free sunshade :cool: for $470 :dunno:

7. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

id go with the rra personally. cheap to shoot and FUN to shoot

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

add another vote for RRA, I have a savage I hardly ever shoot it, AR is more fun to shoot.

9. chakup

chakup Guest

agreed with everyone else. I was just at the same point 24" upper for $539 or the savage for $500 (cheaper model) in .308. I know the RRA will be cheap to shoot, more fun, and it will be a blast for terrorizing small animals next summer while my buddy is working the bolt, I'm getting off more shots.

10. Are you kidding me, get the Saveage 10FP in .308 20 inch, it shoots sub MOA out of the box and .308 will do the job for cheap. And for a cheap great optic get a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 fixed for $160 bucks, the elite series of scopes are Bausch and Lomb with the Bushnell stamp on it. Every sniper forum on the web stands behind this scope as the best bang for the buck on fixed power optics.

11. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Im actually going with the 308.. I've been getting interested in long range accuracy lately, and this will be the ticket .

12. If you have any questions about this weapon contact me, I use this rifle with the .20 inch barrel on it for my precision rifle shoots, and again I shoot waaaaay sub MOA at 500 meters with this weapon with 168 gr. Federal match loads. There are all sorts of accessories for the 10FP models now, if you want to really get into it look at the Douglas barrels, extented bolt handles from SSS, and bedded McMillion and B and C stocks. Don't skimp on your scope base and rings though, my recommendation for rings are GG&G and a Warne 20MOA steel base, perfect combination for reaching out to 1000 meters. I don't know what your optics price limits are but you don't really need a $1300 Leupold Mk IV scope, for great lower priced optics look at the Bushnell elite 3200s and 4200, Nikon Buckmaster and Monarch scopes and definatly don't forget about the Super Snipers either, they all are great and have great warranty's as well. If you have the money I would suggest a Nightforce Optic, but it will cost you twice what you paid for the rifle, hell my new one did.

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Know any websites with good deals on stocks?

14. Actually I do, I have used both McMillan and B&C, but Midway USA has Bell And Carlson stocks on sale for around 130 bucks, they are really decent stocks, you can't go wrong.

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:cool: I will check them out, I still have original stock one mine wouldnt midn something better.

16. Yeah the stock composite black savage stock is shit, I got rid of mine the first day I picked up my rifle and went to a B&C, and I couldn't have been happier. The McMillans are superb, but when you look at the cost difference between the two from 130 for the B&C and almost $400 for the McMillan the B&C if you're on a budget is more than fine for that weapon!

17. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

leupold

18. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

yeah I decided against the monarch by seeing that it only has about 38moa of adjustment.

19. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I've got a friend out in Cali that has the 10FP with the choate. He loves it, though he loves the mcmillan A5 stock better..

he suggested a 20MOA TPS base and TPS rings, though I've also heard good things about GGG and Warne. Ive got a few months to finalize things..

as for the scope.. right now I'm leaning toward a Leupold Mark 4.. I can get one used for probably around 700, and used is as good as new with Leupolds lifetime no-fuss warranty.

but I'm still not completely decided on the rifle.. I did a thread over on snipershide, for best out of the box 308 for under $1000..

many suggested the Remington 5R, stainless milspec. Sure I'm not really sure what I'll go with, but you said theres a big aftermarket for the 10FP, so I'll probably still go with that. Besides, the 5R and the 10FP-LE2B (mcmillan) are about the same price retail, and the savage will have a better stock.

20. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

well the 10FP-LE2B comes with a Mcmillan A5 fiberglass stock and free-floating barrel, for about $750-$800 new.

21. Well the aftermarket isn't as big for the savage as it is for the say Rem 700 series, well not even close. I love the Leupold MkIV and if you can get one for 700 do it now! The best out of box SWS in my personal opinion is the Winchester Stealth, but opinions vary. But my experience with the Win Stealth is it puts the 700 to shame in every catagory.

22. Yup, all that 800 new is basicly they are tacking on a 350 dollar McMillan stock, the stocks are beautiful though.

23. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

well its not exactly a savage 110 with a new stock..

heavy floated barrel, accutrigger, large bolt handle, extra swivel stud for bipod, etc.

yeah I could get a cheap rem700 adl, rebarrel, rebed, and restock it, and have a better rifle for about the same amount, but I dont want to fuck with all that. That will come later.. I just want to get my foot into accurate long range shooting, and the 10FP should be able to do just that.

and supposedly, the A5 stock is comfortable as hell, which can definitely contribute to accuracy. I hate typical hunting style stocks, with the curved grip.

24. And when you're done putting your new rifle together you can give it a pretty Walmart $10 dollar paintjob!

[​IMG]

25. Actually bro all the new Savages come with the *new improved lol larger bolt handle, accutrigger, swivel and floating barrel. I'm not a fan of the accutrigger though and when I bought my 10fp and I actually purchased a pre accutrigger rifle and put in a Rifle Basix 8oz trigger.