A&P Pic of my little girl

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EWhytsell, Sep 9, 2008.

1. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Here's a non space pic for a change. I was playing around yesturday with my crappy little attempt at a studio picture. Only light I have atm is on the camera so yeah deer in the headlights and her eyes might be slightly out of focus what do you guys think?

Oh and she's 3 months old:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I won't even begin on the pic, but your crop is a bit long in the pants. Cute kid BTW!

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

always remember to focus DIRECTLY on the eyes when taking pictures of people.

4. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Hehe yeah hard to focus on her. Little booger can barely hold her head up. She was trying pretty hard and the next few shots veins were starting to pop out of her head pretty badly. Long in the pants? You mean to much at the bottom?

Go ahead tell me whats wrong. I posted to learn and to show off my baby:)

Evan

5. Spurious

Spurious New Member

6. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

The all black look doesn't look too hot. She looks like she's floating.

7. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Thats a nice caption.

Yeah I wasn't into the black really either, but wife likes it and she's the boss.

8. Spurious

Spurious New Member

:rofl:

9. monster91

monster91 New Member

Beautiful girl to start off with. Eyes are the main issue here, but I know it's hard to focus on eyes of a child because they don't stop moving their head. :hs: I think the expression and the position is cute, I love the fabric...and you're lucky you have a backdrop. Haha. I attempt to take good pictures of my daughter but this is what I end up with
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    because all I used was some fabric and my futon of a bed pulled up into a couch :hsd:

Good though, just keep working on it. :) Btw, my daughter was almost 3 months in those pictures. :) Arent babies amazing?

edit: might I add that this was also taken in the garage (my room) and the lighting sucks, and like you the only lighting I have atm is my camera? Hahaha.

10. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

1) Focus on eyes
    2) Take the flash off camera (were you using onboard btw?)

That's what I'd do.

11. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

yeah the onboard one. I'm getting a real flash in a week or so and playing with some lights I've read about.

Evan

12. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

What camera are you using and what flash are you getting?

If you plan on taking lots of "studio" type shots of your kid (or ppl), might consider picking up a light stand + umbrella combo. Your local camera shop can help get you set up. I think just using an external flash alone would not make for as good a pic.

Or cheapest way, take pics of your kid in the day. Maybe near a window so you can some nice diffused natural light. No cost to you.

13. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Yeah I know an external ain't gonna help much. I'm using a 40D and recently got some money thrown my way from work so I'm getting some more astrophotography goodies and figured I'd try to squeeze in a used 580ex or 480 if I have to. Still on the fence really on that flash since I'm clueless.

Your right for portraits I'll really need lights off camera and I'm working on that. I have a large basement that I set up some daylight balanced florescent lights in "following a tutorial I read on the internet" about using them. Anyone ever try them? Playing around they made a difference and are helping me learn some stuff about lighting, but yeah...

Evan