A&P pic of my kid

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jcolman, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The youngest daughter wanted me to shoot a pic of her as a Christmans present for her bf. What do you think OT??

[​IMG]

2. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

God bless you for posting a pic of your daughter. Hope everyone is respectful.

The pic looks good, though her expression implies that he just cheated on her and she's about to whoop his ass.

Can you take a picture of your studio setup?

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

:rofl: She likes the "serious look". This was one of the last pics I took. I gave her a CD with all 40 or so pics so she can pick out her favorite. I hope she picks one where she's actually smiling.

I would post a shot of the studio setup if I hadn't just changed it completely around for another shoot. Basically it was a white seamless paper backdrop with a 300w inkie light on the floor forming the spot behind her. Another 300w inkie in the ceiling grid for a hairlight. She was positioned about 8' infront of the background. I had two 1k lights bouncing off of 4'x8' white boards placed slightly behind and to either side of her. The key light was another 300w inkie bouncing into a smaller white board placed just off camera axis.

I also shot a bunch of pics where the key light was diffused but hitting her directly. This gave me more sharper shadows for a more dramatic look.

4. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Thats a lot of lights!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Not really. However I've taken a very good B/W shot of her with just a flashlight for fill light and the sun for backlight.

6. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

I'd like to see that one :x:

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I'd have to copy the print. It's hanging in our house. Sorry.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

IMO it's too dark, her expression isn't quite "serious" but it's not happy or sad... (again, IMO) she's attractive but managed to make herself as unattractive as possible in that pic.

9. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

I agree.

If there were a voice bubble, it'd be saying "You muddafucka" in and then she'd smile as soon as she said it. Almost like she's trying to hide a smile behind a pissed look.

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

There are a lot of other pics I shot where she was smiling but she wanted the "serious look" for this pose. I picked this one to post only because it was the last one I shot and I liked it.

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

That's a good way to put it. It's kind of what she wanted. More of a modern day "Mona Lisa" look.

12. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

kinda odd... but her right eye (the viewers left) looks unnaturaly large compared to the other eye.... just a tad more fill on her right side might have helped also. it looks like there's a bad shadow cast by her hair... almost makes it looks like she's bruised on the side of her head around her eye.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  13. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

gonna need a full body, or at least waist up to be sure :o:x:

14. 7960

7960 New Member

I was going to say it looks like she's got a scar or something on her right cheek, but it might be the make-up :dunno:

15. Dan-blackline

Dan-blackline Registered Sex Offender

She looks pissed.

16. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Hardly provocative enough for a christmas present ;)

17. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

:werd:

18. Not to be an ass or anything but I could get the same shot using only 2 alienbees lights... Yea I couldnt get the spot of white in the backdrop with only 2 lights but in the shot you posted you can barely tell there is a backlight so just by having the model close to the backdrop you could get light hitting the backdrop just like that, I've done it millions of times.

I think with 5 lights you could get much better results, I could do some wild shit if I had 5 lights!!

If you're interested in seeing some of my stuff using only 2 alienbees strobes pm me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006
  19. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

She looks like Lindsey Lohan. good picture!

20. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I agree. I've shot a lot of headshots with only two lights and a bounce card. It's not difficult to obtain similar results as my picture with two lights. However, to get the full effect of the five lights that I used I'd have to post another shot where she is in a different pose. I just posted up the last shot of her before I burned her a cd.

21. I was hoping you would post another shot so we can see the full effect of the five lights

:big grin:

22. mojito

mojito New Member

I bet you appreciate Marc Hauser's one light portraits more now :)

actually, what years did you go to Brooks, I'm betting it was around the same time. I have some friends that went to the still program in the 70s too.

23. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

To see the full effect of five lights I'd really have to shoot full body shots of her in the nude. I know you guys wouldn't want that! :x:

24. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

If I can get my home scanner working again I'll post up a "one light" portrait I shot with only a flashlight.

I graduated from Brooks in '72. I was in their very first cinematography course. They were still trying to figure out how to run the program.

25. Have you ever shot your daughter in the nude? This topic came up before somewhere and I just thought to myself that it would be way too awkward for me to do. Maybe if your daughter/son is younger than 8, 9 or maybe even 10. But after that things start to change and I think it might be alittle awkward for them. Especially if your daughter is what like 16-21??!?! :eek4: