Physio, Acupuncture, Chiro (ART)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by 2000GT, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I have heard so much about each of these... but what works or worked for you?

I have an ailing pinched nerve from a compressed disc. I need to build a stronger to hep in the longterm I know. But do some of these treatments aid this?

All this imho:

Physio: Great for a one time thing, I learned som interesting movements to help strengthen areas and loosen areas where there is compression, impingment etc I dont understand people who keep going back there, as I can just do the excersizes on my own.

Accupuncure: Never been, but I am worried aboiut the needle hitting nerves as I have heard a couple horror stories. Will help relief muscle stress and tension which in turn will help my health and my sleep.

Chiro (ART): Never been, but I hear ART therapy is amazing. Will make an appointment to see if it helps.

2. pt

pt New Member

Definately try acupuncture. My first time was last friday (acupuncture / cupping) and it worked dramatically. Not a 100% improvement, but noticable.

3. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

physhio- good for damage repair from an injury. i like it
    accupuncture - ive only heard good from it. relieving allergies, asthma, pain, etc. i know a lot have been scared away, but im still impressed.
    chiro - my view on chiro is similar to yours of accupuncture. ive only heard bad. only seen bad. almost all of my family members have back probs, and 20+yrs of quack chiros have done nothing to help. and, those ive met socially have only furthered this opinion.

4. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Tried accupuncture... didn't really do much for me.

5. pt

pt New Member

You could also try gravity boots.

6. reaXion

reaXion Texas is better then your mom

When I first did the acupuncture diet when I weighed 420 pounds.
    I lost 100 pounds from it and that's with taking the herbal suppliment.
    The herbal suppliment is what landed me in the hospital for a year.
    So be careful.
    The acupuncture itself isn't harmful I think. I still get that done when i strain my leg or something, Just becareful of the herbs.

7. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

what process did they use? (for ART)

8. il_duce

il_duce OT Supporter

I've done all three:
    Physio: Like you said, find out from a physiological standpoint what's wrong with you, and what you need to do to correct muscular imbalances, etc. Go once, maybe a checkup later.
    Accupuncture: I started doing this over the summer, and I feel like it really made a difference. I had had mono really bad last year, and I felt that the accupuncture helped to bring my energy levels up. You can definitely feel something going on when the needles are in. There's nothing to be afraid of, everyone should give it a shot at least once.
    ART: I've had this done once, and it was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced in my life. The guy started with his thumb at the very bottom of my back and slowly pushed it all the way up to my traps. The theory is that when you have soreness/knots/etc. in your muscles, it's caused by the fascia ("sheath" around muscle fibers) getting stuck together and/or getting stiff. They will apply pressure/massage to the problem spot in an effort to separate/loosen up the stuck muscle fibers. As painful as it was to get, it felt really good the next day.

9. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

that sounds useful, not the typical chiropractic crap that most ppl seem to practice..
    cool :)

10. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

it sounds like it. sounds more like physio than chiro. i associated it with one b/c the thread title said so. lol

11. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

well, ART was developed by a chiropractor, and a lot of people who practice ART are chiros

12. joy division

joy division New Member

i did accupuncture when i was younger because of serious knee pain when running, went away after a few months...shit was amazing.

13. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I've done chiro.. it helped to an extent, really helped when my spine was turn 1/4 of the way to the right in my neck :o

helped somewhat in my back, but the chiro said he couldn't fully work it out and I had the most stubborn back he's worked on in his 20+ years of experience..

pinched nerve, i say go accupuncture

14. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

For Pinched nerve, I recommend ART. Chiro works the bones while ART works soft tissues. I had some great experience with it (pinched nerve near rotator cuff). I got 85% better, now I'm just exercising to get everything back.

How my chiro figured out it was pinched nerve using ART is beyond me. My doctor and acupuncturist couldn't figure that out. But she nailed it on the first session. Apparently they can feel each muscle fibers as you move and detect any anomalies all thru just their fingertips.

15. Undefined

Undefined New Member

these are the same as inversion tables pretty much right? you just hang upside down for a while? im thinking of getting one or the other for my neck, i been getting ART and it does help when i get it done but the problem never completely goes away and slowlly comes back as the days go by after my last ART session. someone suggested an inversion table to me saying that it would loosen/lengthen the muscles in my neck up. i guess its worth a shot.

16. Undefined

Undefined New Member

what did you have accupuncture for?

17. pt

pt New Member

lower left shoulder / left trap / left neck pain. Feels like a pinched nerve. The acupuncture helped I would say about 20-30% on the first appointment. I had less than 40 needles, electro-stimulation, and cupping (with a herbal ointment that felt similar to bayer / icy hot / menthol but absorbed better).

18. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

today will be my first day of ART... I can barely walk properly cause of pain in my lower back. The x-rays and cat scans have not come back yet, but chances are I have a ruptured disc or herniated disc.
    My nerves have been affected as well apparantly. Was weird when my doc checked for reflex's in my left knee and foot, nothing happened. Right leg is fine, but my left gives absolutely nothing :(

19. pt

pt New Member

FUCK :wtc:

Good luck :broly: :x:

20. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

ART practioner recomended inversion table over gravity boots for me.

21. velamint

velamint Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon

what kind of symptoms do you have? i hurt my back pretty badly last summer and from what i've read it seems like a herniated or ruptured disc. its mostly just a dull pain in my lower back, although at times my lef/butt will get numb. also then similarly hurt the other side of my back in the same way a couple weeks ago squatting :hs: let me know about the art...i'll be going to the dr but now until the end of the month, so i likely wont be doing anything until then for it, besides stretching and whatever.

22. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

well, not sure the specifics.... for me its a sharp pain when I load any vertical pressure. lying flat hurts, sitting hurts. Basically I can only be comfortable with my legs in the air and my back flat on the ground.

It sucks donkeys balls!

23. Undefined

Undefined New Member

have you got one yet? what table did you go with if so and how is it helping you so far(you injured your lower back right?)?

24. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Not yet. He told me it'll cost about 300 for a used one...
    I only feel the numbness and soreness in my left leg days following quad day.

25. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

just got back from my first ART session. Pretty cool stuff. Definately a little painfull, as would any deep tissue, but felt good. He did a little adjustment (chiropractor) and now I feel great. I go in again the end of the week, and go from there.

Side note: my chiro trains with a competing MMA dogo to the one I am training at. Long story short, first thing he asked me was how much I weigh - he was relieved to find out I was in a heavier weight class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.