Physics Cards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OniMinion, Sep 21, 2006.

1. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Does anybody actually know when the Physics Cards are actually going to be placed into production? Or even if there are any upcoming game titles being released that will support them? i feel HL2 could really improve with such technology.

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

My brother does Physics/Pathfinding/AI for Relic. He says these cards don't make much sense. I don't expect them to catch on.

3. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

4. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I've been reading that the Core 2 Duo is a tester for Intel's goal of Quad Core Processors, it's interesting to read that the Physics Cards are more or less dead before they started. I have to agree that the biggest drawback would be the fact that they are all pre-programed, and can't have new logic programed into them. Bummer.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Asus is selling a physics card right now.

It's a cool idea, but the people who make the graphics for videogames just aren't used to the idea of querying a piece of hardware to find out how their lava should flow; they make it up as they go along, instead. Since 3D is still very heavily surface-based (polygons) instead of particle-based (voxels, I think), it's pretty much impossible for game designers to adapt their code to the way a physics card works.

Look at the real world; everything is made of particles which either stick together or bounce off each other. There are no polygons, but using polygons in games is such a good way to save processing power, that it became the standard for 3D graphics long before the hardware to make commercially-viable physics cards existed.

6. hyukki

hyukki ._.

I don't think it's necessary to buy a physics card for like $100 or $200. Maybe Nvidia and ATI will have a built in physics processor in their future cards? That'd be cool :)