MIL Physical requirements for Air Force and/or Navy enlistment?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crazynova, Sep 16, 2007.

1. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I am considering joining either the Navy or the Air Force, but am in the latter stages of recovering from a motorcycle accident that I broke my clavicle and femur in. I have had to re-learn to walk, and my right leg is still not quite as strong as my left. I can jog, but not run, but will be able to shortly.

My question is, what are the physical tests I would need to pass to join either one of these branches? I am asking because I want to know I'll pass before I go to a recruiter because frankly, I dont want to waste my time or thiers by getting everything going, and then not passing a physical test.

I am serious about enlisting, and want to get out of my current job ASAP, but wont leave it until I have something set in stone (i.e. signing an enlistment contract.) I am 18, and this seems like a great option for me for 4 years, since I can't join Metro and be a cop until I'm at least 21 anyway.

Any helps you guys have is greatly appreciated.

2. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

why do you want to be a sailor or a airman? why not A MArine? im sure you can get in my friend has like a 200+pg medical record so you should be able to get in

3. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

For me, its not that I dont think I can get in, its that I dont know how long it will take me to pass a physical test so I can go to basic. No offense to the Marines, but I don't want to be infantry and get shot at every day. I want to join the military because I am very mature in some ways, but think the military wil really help me in ways Im not yet, and the 4 years will put me out of active duty at 22, when I can join Las Vegas Metro as a police officer hopefully.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Can you jog at least 2 miles without stopping? I'm not questioning your speed, but just wanted to know if you have any sort of leg pains while running.

5. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Not yet, but those are the exact things I need to know. I broke my femur, and had a titanium rod placed through the center of the bone, but there isnt any pain there any more. Right now, I am working on building my muscles up to equal the other leg, as my quad isnt quite strong enough yet. I will be able to run 2 miles nonstop fine in a month or so though.

6. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

For MEPS they'll ask you about your medical history so make sure you have documentation from your doctors that you are ok. They will probably ask you to follow up on it so just expect that.

When you are at MEPS you'll go into a room with other recuits...strip down to your underwear, and they'll make you do weird things like duck walk, hold your arms out to your side, etc. This is to make sure you don't have any screwed up joints and other things that could DQ you.

Oh and what part of Vegas are you from? I work with someone that is from there.

7. c.a

c.a New Member

the run to pass af basic training is a mile and a half in 11:56 i think, if they haven't changed it

8. ecofire

ecofire Member

The Marines isn't just infantry. When I got to my MOS school, as matter of fact, when I got to my MOS school a lot of guys told me they wanted to go infantry but the school was backed up.

9. EYOB

EYOB Guest

injury != joining the service that does the most exercise

10. EYOB

EYOB Guest

As long as you can ride a bicycle, I'm pretty sure you can join either service. [/sarcasm]

11. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

The AF stopped doing that in 2001 from what I'm told :rofl:

What sucked was the ones that were actually in shape would fail that test miserably while the fat asses would pass easily.

12. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

they dont have any

13. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i thought major femur breaks in your medical history were a DQ anyway?

14. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

I hope not. Hell, the femur I broke is stronger than the one I didn't, sinces it healed perfectly aligned with a titanium rod through it... I guess one more thing to find out from the recruiter. (If they know).

15. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

lol the Air force was running today and we were outside having a smoke break and we saw about 3 pairs of AF guys carrying back some airman in groups of 3. they need to increase their pt

16. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i drew my conclusion from the multiple people i have seen sent home after breaking them while already enlisted

17. dferriola

dferriola New Member

This could be a problem. I just enlisted with the navy and have 3 screws at the bottom of my filbula. And that was a pain in the ass, and those were from 02' and i am fully healed. But go to an orthopedic before you go off to meps for an update on the strength in your leg. Send that along with all the other xrays. Your's is different from mine because your hardware is a rod. But at meps they will def dq you, and you'll have to wait for it to be approved by the head of navy or airforce. Try to get into good shape before meps, navy just recently hired their max weight for new recruits. But the meps doctor told me that the navy will give me a waiver because they usually do for hardware that isnt on a joint and if you still have full motion and strength. I hope i helped any, I just enlisted so the whole processing part is fresh in my memory. Good Luck.:bigthumb:

18. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Thanks for the info. I may try and wait a little while so I can get running and be able to run a lot before enlisting. I don't think I should have a problem getting a waiver, since I have full ROM in my hip and knee, and just need to muscles to build back up before I can effectively run.

19. nayt1

nayt1 New Member

you won't get in with a titanium rod as a femur, sorry

20. Naygrow

Naygrow .

you could always not tell them.... fraudulent enlistment ftw

21. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Well, I spoke with a recruiter for the Navy, and he pretty much said it shouldn't be a problem, as long as Im fully cleared by the doctor. If anything, I could have it removed in a few months, but it shouldn't be necessary.

22. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

:rofl: until he goes before the Doc at MEPS and is asked about his obvious surgical scars.

23. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

They arent big, but they sure are obvious... a 3" scar on my hip, and 2 3/4" scars on the leg where the 2 screws were inserted. Still fairly fresh looking too.