SRS Physical abuse effects

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Aug 4, 2006.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Does anyone have any confirmed phychological research that outlines the effects of physically abusing children at a young age. What does it cause for the abused child later on in life? I just want to know to which degree the abuse has had on me.

Also, is anyone familiar with memory repression. I have very few memories of my childhood. I do have a few of being beaten by the parents, but there could be more. I just want to know if my brain is subconsciously hiding things that it doesn't want me to remember.

2. darnit

darnit New Member

ok, as in I ,having confirmed research.. no. Experiance.. yes. I was not physically abused, but was metally tramatized.
    I suffered mental repression of an incident for quite some time.
    What effect can it have.. it has shaped my whole life. But the good thing is when you finally get through your blocks, you have a great choice in front of you. You can turn the negitives into positives!!

3. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

it affects different people differently. there is no one set of what it will do to a person later on.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This sounds like a conversation you should be having with a good therapist: working through how its affected you, dealing with it one step at a time... that kinda thing.

5. Trigger Happy

Trigger Happy OT Supporter

as toeshoes said in her post, everyone is affect in a different way and there is no realy research to say if something happened like x in all of their lives or whatever they are all going to end up the same. we as people are all different and have different upbringings. you can probally go around on the internet and find stuff that people have done papers on about how parents who were abused as kids are more likely to abuse their kids when they have them. but you are your own person, i personally remember when mum always used to try and get us out of trouble and dads punishment when i was a kid was the belt. fuck i used to hate it, but i got the message and never wanted it to come out.

i personally think that if i had kids and they fucked up then just talking to them isn't going to make them stop but there is a line and you have to make sure that you don't cross it.

and as to your thoughts well you might never know what is in your head into something happens or someone says something and it triggers that part of your head where they are been kept. i can't remember alot from when i was a little kid but you can't just remember all the bad things you did and the bad things that happened because you would have had way more good things you had fun or whatever. but it is always easier to remember the bad things :hs:

but if you are still having problems then maybe you should take up what peyomp said and go see a conselour or a therapist or something like that, it could be alot better for you.

6. Fiya

Fiya Guest

7. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member