FRK Phthalates in sex toys v myexperience, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Elphaba, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Ok, so I dont know if this has ever been discussed in here before I'm kinda new and pretty much a lurker at that, but I recently 'discovered' this and wondered if anyone else had a similar experience/reaction.

Here's the story - sorry its kinda long, I just figured I'd give all the info.

First, the bf and I decided to try some new lube, so we went down to the local sex shop, looked around and decided on ID's Millenium (we were kinda sick of KY's stickyness and this one promised 'never to be sticky'). It worked great, it really is never sticky and we both loved it. Never really gave its contents a second thought.
    Then, we decide its time for a new vibe (my old one was just, well, old, had a cord for the control buttons, etc, it was time to upgrade) so we shopped around online and found one we both liked. Again, never really gave a second thought to what it was made of.
    So for a while the new vibe and the new lube stayed at his place (we're in a LDR) and I had the old vibe and the KY at mine...
    When we were together and using the new vibe and new lube I noticed a little vag irritation, but nothing to bad, besides we hadnt seen each other in a few weeks and where a little overly eager anyway ;) so I didnt really suspect anything.
    Anyway, we've been apart for a while and I've been using the new lube and new vibe by myself and holy god the vag irritation! :eek4: I did the usual symptom check for other things I thought might be the problem, and found nothin' , especially since the irritation went away almost as soon as I cleaned things up. So I started checking things out on the internet, looking up all the ingredients in both the new vibe and the new lube, to see if maybe I was allergic to something.
    This is were I found out about phthalates used in PVC (which is what the new vibe is made of). This article (http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2005/12/06/gertz/)
    had some great info and I used the old standbys of Google and Wiki too. Apparently phthalates and the oil in the new lube dont go so great together, nevermind, all the crazy stuff about the phthalates themselves. I know that you cant trust everything you read on the internet, but most of what I've read seems to go together pretty well.
    Anyway, anybody else have this kind of situation, or heard anything about phthalates?

Cliffs: Got a new vibe and new lube, started getting some vag irritiation. Found out about phthalates used in PVC stuff, and their reactions with oils/fats. Looking for some other input/experiences/info

2. Jinx

Jinx Active Member

What kind of base is the new lube?

*edit* And what is your toy made out of?

If they're both silicon-based, the lube will start to break down the toy, which could cause irritation.

3. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

The new lube is silicon based, but the toy is the PVC "jelly" kind...

4. Sandoz

Sandoz New Member

See, this is where you went wrong. Always use water-based lubricants. Always! They're a little inconvenient because they seep into the skin and you have to add more as you use 'em, but they're safest, unsticky, and have always given me complete satisfaction. :wiggle:

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Not all that surprising, alot of women have irritation from phthalates. Sadly alot of sex toy companies are trying to produce as many dongs asa possible for as little as possible and safety may be disregarded. This is why I don't really like companies like doc johnson and adam & eve that make and sell these things. Silicone toys are certainly the best.

Alot of people are also irritated by Nonoxynol-9, but thats probably not in your silicone lube.

Anyway the problem your having is quite probably your toy. Ditch it or put a condom on it.

6. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Lesson definately learned.

Yeah, Im probably just gonna go the condom route, Its new and I dont wanna just toss it so soon.
    I was kinda surprised about the phthalates, I guess I just thought of the sex toy industry as one of the more responsible groups and was really surprised by this....you learn something new everyday tho...shame on you sex toy manufacturers :nono:

7. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

uhhhh, no. the water based lubricants get sticky because your skin absorbs a good amount of the water out of the lubricant, thus causing it to dry out, thinken, and get sticky.

true, they may very well be the safest, but they are not the best. silicone based lubricants are amazing. they dont get sticky, they dont dry out, 1 drop of silicone based lubes last longer then 10 drops of water based lubes, etc.

the best lube is a natural one. second to that is grape seed oil (kelated Vitamin E .... great massage oil, very good for skin and vagina). third is the manufactured shit (im not saying silicone or water based is better, different strokes for different folks). last place goes to sand and gravel.

the best thing is to do your research and experiment. if you get irritated, immediately start thinking and eliminate the problem substance ( beit the lube, the toy, the shards of glass, etc...).

8. Sandoz

Sandoz New Member

I think I also said you need to add more during sex. That is an inconvenient.

Grapeseed oil ftmfw.

9. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Grapeseed oil? O rly? Where can I find some?

10. affende

most health stores carry it....runs me about $8 a gallon

and dont be shy with it, use as much as you are comfortable with ;)

11. Sandoz

Sandoz New Member

Grapeseed oil is also great for cooking. It's the tasteless vegetal oil that's the most heat-resistant, so it's great for all sorts of cooking.

Oh, and as for sex, all oils are fantastic. But the smell of olive oil + ass is a little... Eh. :ugh2:

It's not very healthy and of course it kills condoms so you should only do it with someone you trust and if you have birth control (even for ass play you should have birth control, the semen that comes out can drip into your pussy). But it's very fun. Start with a little massage, move down... mmm...

12. friedrice

friedrice New Member

There is always 80W-90 gear oil... Much better then gravel or glass shards.

13. affende

wheel bearing grease > 90W :big grin:

14. The Fugue

The Fugue New Member

:rofl:

15. affende

i wasnt going to say anything...but now i will

:rofl: x 2

16. Sandoz

Sandoz New Member

Oh come on. Yes, it's VERY unlikely, but for safe sex, how many chances are you willing to take?

It's all fun and games until someone gets knocked up.

17. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

No worries about getting preggers, Im on depo and am in a safe, monogamous relationship....
    Anyway, I'm def going to have to check out the grapeseed oil and as an update, the SO just got me a glass toy for our anniversary, so no more worries about the phthalates, and I love it. Best toy I've ever had.

18. Black of Night

Black of Night New Member

Wow, just thinking about that makes me slightly irritated.... and I'm a guy.

19. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Yeah, I always thought sex on the beach was sooooo sexy and romantic. Until you realize that the beach is made of sand. Ew.

20. Trina

Trina New Member

I use and like Astroglide. Works REALLY well and doesn't cause any irritation or breakdown of my toys. :big grin: