WEB phpBB Maintenence

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

What do I need to do to ensure that my forum is maintained? I just set up a new forum and was wondering if I need to do continual maintenece, scheduled backups or anything and how do I do the backups? Thanks

2. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

backups from cpanel, or just backup the files and databse thats it.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

where in cpanel would i backup, do i just create a file on my computer to backup to, if something were to happen, i would be able to use my backups to get it back online in the state it was before whatever it was that happened? Thanks, very new to all of this

and Thomor, were you wanting cigars? Pm me

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I have some scripts that I used to backup my phpbb boards, they run thru cron which is setup in cpanel ... if you want PM me here or yahoo and I'll get you the link. I can help you set it up and make sure it working and all that too if you need.

You'll need both file and database backups to get back up and runnign with minimal downtime, I have a weekly file backup script that I run too ...

You should also periodically go thru your logs and look for anything wierd ...

5. Aslan

Aslan My avatar is the new hotness... yours... Old and b

i want cigars :) did you bring enough for everyone :dunno:

6. Aslan

define.... weird?

7. Robb

Robb Guest

these are "special" cigars :wiggle:

8. Aslan

only makes me want them more :wavey: :drool:

9. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

There are some older phpbb based hacks that you might wanna watch out for. There are things you can do to stop them using htaccess files so that if there was to be a new one found you might protect yourself before it came an issues. One common one way back before the double login was a hacker accessing your admin folder and dropping the database from the browser ... shit like that.

10. thomor25

11. thomor25

12. Robb

Robb Guest

i need more videos :)

13. thomor25

what are you looking for? liek general help stuff look at what he's got it will explain alot if you have a cpanel server

14. Robb

Robb Guest

is there a way that if you were to login and then had to log off, that the posts you hadnt read yet would still show up as unread or new?

15. Robb

Robb Guest

i watched every movie he had, i just dont know how to do this stuff, I want to change the name at the top from index showing up, i want to add a chatroom at mysite.com/chat and add a link from the main page, thats about it really

i also want to learn how to put banners on my page where i want them, i kinda just throw it in index.php and hope it shows up in the right place

I know this sounds sad :wtc:

16. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

If you want to prevent the index from showing up you have to add a page to your site labeled index.html the reason why is because (I want to say all servers) but for the most part all use this particular name as the default page. You can open note pad, type coming soon in it if you want, save as index.html then in Cpanel look for your Upload Manager, says File Manager, navigate into the public_html folder, browse for your index.html file and upload. GUess thats what your asking ??

Adding a chat room, eh thats broad area to touch because theres all sorts of chat room software. google.com for some software first then we might be able to help you. Warning though chat rooms are good for spammers and unless you have 10 of thousands of visitors or a decent audience who would bother to hang out in a chat room kinda pointless to have one just my opinion.

17. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

No, that function is based on last visit time ... there is a mod that allows you to display all posts in the last XXX hours ...

18. thomor25

Dude I was just able to get the skin up tongith and I also put up the graphic for the header, I will get to the rest tomorrow. I hope you like the new skin tho.

19. Robb

Robb Guest

I Love it, that logo is awesome BTW. I really appreciate it, although i must seem like an impatient asshole. Sorry, I just get anxious, this is my first endevour into anything like this. I love learning about this kind of stuff. Thanks again, Your services are amazing, if you ever need a positive referral Ill definately speak very highly :bowdown: