PHP vs Perl

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaginBajin, Sep 17, 2003.

1. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I am looking around on the net for some documents about how to interact with mysql. So I am looking and I see a lot of documents about using PHP..

Now why is php better than perl for developing a DB interactive website? Is it easier?

Just some thoughts.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I think it is because of ease. I think the PHP language had native support for sql interaction. I think you need a perl module for perl to work with any databases.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I much prefer PHP. Since it's a lot newer, it has a lot of handy features built-in, including SQL support. I used Perl for years, and didn't start using PHP until this year. However, after writing one page in PHP (and using php.net :bowdown: ) I was converted.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Here's why its a little easier in PHP:

PHP runs scripts inline typically as a module to the webserver. Perl runs its scripts in CGI mode. PHP can run in CGI mode too, but its not as quick (although a lot more secure).

Some might say PHP isn't as cryptic as Perl. Perl's specialty is string handling. PHP picks up on a lot of Perl's tricks - not all of them, but PHP makes short work of any string tasks you might have.

Perl has been around for 10+ years which tells you its a mature language and still very useful. Perl is a great language. But for a lot of web tasks, PHP is a lot easier to deal with.

Perl does require a DB module plugin for it to mingle with a database, but it ends up being really easy to install. PHP also requires a module, but the MySQL module is included by default with most PHP installs. Well, that was true up to PHP v4.2-ish. Around then, they embedded the MySQL library in PHP so it doesn't need a module. If you're going to use something else besides MySQL, then you'll need a module.

So in the end, I would say PHP is a lot easier to work with as a language and to work with with a database.

5. samm

samm Next in Line

PHP is based on an old perl module. I find them both useful for certain tasks, but for MySQL interaction, PHP is easier.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

[​IMG]

:p
    I know Perl and PHP. My preference in PHP, because it is newer, has functions capable of doing what you need to accomplish, example: connecting to databases. PHP can do string handling too, I'd say you can do the same things you can do in Perl in PHP when it comes to that. =/ Infact some of the string functions built into Perl are identical to the ones in PHP. PHP just has more support over development. It supports RAD and Perl does not, really. =/

Since the structure is a lot like C, it is easier to grasp and anybody can learn it. Perl is a little more cryptic and not as easy, but it's starting to fade out of the picture ever since PHP 4 came out. Now that PHP 5.0 will be out pretty soon, it will take place in RAD in web development. I think eventually people will use PHP over Perl.

Although PHP can work in an Object Oriented environment, it lacks some of the aspects that make an OOP language an OOP language, like inheritence. In PHP 5.0, Zend is working on creating the Object Oriented structure in PHP which would make PHP and Object Oriented language. However, those who still prefer procedural code can also use procedural code in PHP 5. Kind of like C/C++.

My two cents anyway.. Php > perl;

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I shouldn't be saying Language, it's a process, rather.

8. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

I'd have to agree that PHP > Perl, for all the reasons stated above. I also noticed that some most PHP scripts execute faster than Perl/CGI scripts, but maybe it just seems that way because I'm biased :hs:

9. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd: Same here. I agree with all above. PHP > Perl for many many reasons..

It may just be me.. but I feel that Perl is too cumbersome..

And I love those PHP gals. :bowdown:

10. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

How is Perl too cumbersome?

11. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

what I don't like about Perl is it's "more than one way to do it" philosophy. It makes script maintenance very very hard, that and it's fucking ugly syntax.

12. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Haha.. True that man. :p It has horrible looking syntax, haha.