PHP Telnet Sessions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CyberBullets, Feb 11, 2007.

1. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Hey Guys,

I'm working on this project right now and we have stumbled into a roadblock, how to keep a telnet session open using PHP.

The idea is a browser telnet control to connect to CISCO routers (that is just a huge overview, it's much more detailed). We can have it connect, but once the script finishes, it disconnects. We want to keep the session open until the user is finished (closes, logs out, time runs out, etc). Any suggestions on keeping the socket open for the entire time?

Remember, if you close the telnet session you have to relog in everytime cause of CISCO routers.

We are not partial to using PHP, but it is the language we are both familiar with.

Edit: Also, if there are any friendly telnet clients that will allow a 3rd party to do IO to them it would work as well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Using nix or windows? something like this might be easier with perl :eek4:

Also if the routers are in close proximity I believe cisco have a serial server & application to do exactly this.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Well we found a java applet that is open source that will fit our needs. We will take that base and just build upon it.

4. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I'm sorta curious as to the point. Even windows has a built in telnet client. If security is an issue, why not use SSH?

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

php would be used to either script the telnet sessions, or allow remote access via a web interface.