php or asp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leb_CRX, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

just wondering which one I should learn next, seem like both have advantages, php seems better cause you dont need to have microsoft IIS or whatever, whereas ASP does

what do you guys recommend? also any books worth reading...I am advanced programmer just NEVER messed with internet programming...this will be my first tackle with that

|eb_CRX

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I would personally recommend JSP/Servlets. I really enjoy coding web applications with JSPs and Servlets.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Some things to thinking about:

Whats your main goal?

- you doing this to get a job?
    - you doing this just for fun?

How much do you have to spend?

- Lots of cash?
    - Open Source looking pretty good?

Do you have a web host? Or are you looking to create your web server? Do you have an idea what OS you want to run?

What's your previous coding experiences?

Is there a particular web app you wish to build? Or what do you want to be able to create? DB backed web apps? Create photo galleries? A B2B app?

-- --

If you're dirt cheap, Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP make for a great setup (and no cost to you!).

ASP is probably a bit more trusted within your larger companies. Smaller companies will tend to be more open to PHP. If you had to bank on a job, then ASP or some flavor of .NET would be the way to go. If you're just playing around, then PHP would be great.

In terms of features, PHP has a lot of momentum right now and there's a lot of cool things you can do that would either be painful in ASP or cost you money to purchase the same binaries that are free with PHP. PHP also is cross platform friendly (I've got PHP at home on Linux and at work on a W2k box - the code can be switched between boxes with just minor adjustments (mainly dir name/locations)).

It really just boils down to what you want to do, how much time you have, and how much cash you want to spend.

4. Leb_CRX

just so I understand correctly isin't JSP and Servlets basically java for the web??? I dig that I am a BIG fan of java, favorite language, but is knowing that gonna get me anywhere? I havent seen many things written in it :hs:

where can I get more infomration about this...seems like everyone throws insane amount of terms around these days and I dont understand fuck all, i've been out of the loophole for some time now and things change too fast for me to keep up :rant2: :rant2:

basically my goal out of all this is to write something nice so it can help me get a job (experience and proof of skill), I am sick of being unemployed sitting around doing tech support crap, when I have a diploma in programming

it's just that I NEVER got into web programming it's one of those things that always got under my skin, HTML and javascript is all I know..i've always focused my little energy on coding simple applications, weather DB Driven or not, and that just dosen't cut it anymore for me, I gotta get into web related stuff...it'll probally turn out that i'll eventually start liking it which is scary :ugh: :ugh: ... anyways coding experience, basically I started with qbasic, dos programming, moved towards c, then vb, then java...thats about it, well i've toyed with more but those are the languages I like/know.

anyways basically I do plan on running this from my server...now the thing is that I DONT have one now, I went ahead and picked up a 450 with like 384MB of ram that I am gonna use as a linux server...but that can easily change and I can make my XP machine act as a server...basically right now, and for the last 4 month I been up in the air with what to do / where to go...you probally dont rememeber but I posted asking for advice about 4 month ago, and both you and compiled replied...anyways so dosent matter with what i code it, but I am sick of tryign to figure out things and just want to jump into it

as for cash and what not, I already have the .net studio so that dosent bother me, cash is not really a problem as long as it's reasonable and I can justify it, basically I am turboing my car now and that's killing my funds, but it aint no big deal to buy a book or two every 2 weeks

basically I am trying to get my feet wet with web programming, get back on track with programming (took a 4-5 month break) and get a job out of all this...any ideas ? :) I dont have anything in mind yet

Thanks for the posts guys :bigthumb:
    |eb_CRX

5. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

I think the best solution right now would be like someone else suggested, get Apache, MySQL and PHP and toy around with those, that are all free and they work really well together and you can find a shitload of tutorials.

6. CompiledMonkey

JSP is just like ASP. Instead of using VBScript or JavaScript for the dynamic content, you use Java (as good practice, you don't put much code in JSPs). Servlets are all Java and used for processing information passed to it by JSPs. Knowing Java gives you a HUGE advantage in going with JSP/Servlets. All you'll need to do is understand the flow of a website and the request and response objects.

I don't think you'll "see" many things written in JSP/Servlets, but they are there. Most small sites and freelancers don't use J2EE because it takes a little longer to develop, it is more difficult if you get into all of what J2EE offers (EJB, JMS, etc), and from an enterprise standpoint it is costly. Application servers (BEA WebLogic, IBM Websphere, etc) cost a load of money and normally only big business can find a benefit in using them. As you may have already gathered, J2EE is used in businesses. If you'd like to expand your skills to get a job, learning web programming in Java is a good idea.

My advice would be to download Tomcat and MySQL, get a good book and enjoy. ;)

7. Leb_CRX

Compiled, can you recommend any books man?

thanks for the posts!

|eb_CRX

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

Professional Java Server Programming J2EE EDITION

is a good book

9. CompiledMonkey

10. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

i've worked with both PHP and ASP and I personally find PHP to be a lot more intuitive. then again, I'm partial to non-MS technologies, but I find coding in ASP to be painful and a lot more work than it should be

11. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

ive started messing around with asp.net and ive found it to be pretty easy to learn and very flexible. Its even that much easier to learn if you already know C# or VB.net. Ive seen a lot of buzz with php and im thinking about reading into it, but as far as my main skill, i think im gonna stay proficient with the ms bandwagon just because it seems as if more companies like commercialized shit..not sure why but oh well. One thing i liked about asp.net is the ability to make or download controls that can easily be implemented into your work. check out www.asp.net for more information and any questions about it.

12. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

These controls you refer to are for the client side browser? If so, they follow any W3C standards (or better yet, will other browsers be able to make use of the controls?) One of the ones that gave me nightmares is the list control. Fancy and useful - yes. Work in anything other then PC flavored IE - no. I blame it on lazy coding - it can be replaced with HTLM (oh, yeah - IE doesn't support table thead/tfoot yet).

Its this lack of support for standards which is what drives me away from *.NET.

As for MS in big business, when they have control of the business (be it: venture capital, partnership, vested interest, discounts, etc), then its hard for the big business to really go with anything else.

Then you have other businesses which actually try to stay away from MS gear and they will migrate towards a Sun/Java setup.