WEB php & mysql in windows 7

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thisgsx, Feb 26, 2010.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

I am going to start to learn php and mysql and I was wondering if it is stable and good with windows 7 64bit?

2. brujito

brujito New Member

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

just sign up for hostgator or something. installing/configuring can be very different from using it, so there's no reason to possibly get stuck on a lesson you'll never need.

4. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

This is a good idea, i really like being able to click save then refresh the browser rather than wait for a file to upload or having to click overwrite 300 times a night making small changes.

But its also a bad idea, it come set up with alot of settings in the long run that you will want to change, and if you dont feel comfortable you could end up having to reinstall wamp and starting from scratch.

Needless to say, i use wamp to host 3 of my domains off of my machine at home. :o - Granted i changed alot of wamp to make alot of stuff work.

5. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

also, for the newb... sorry (im only assuming)... but setting up php with iis can get confusing. I personally haven't used iis 7 and php. But if you have never used iis, that in itself will be an experience. Other than that, once you get it set up it works great (iis6 atleast...) Once again u will probably need to edit the php.ini file if you intend to use other peoples scripts and what not.

6. brujito

brujito New Member

This, total pain the ass installing everything from scratch. Easier to drop in a build and learn the basics.

7. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Yes, newbie here. My goal is to purchase one of the many social templates out there and hopefully once I learn enough php I can expand and implement my own ideas into it. I was thinking of running a virtualization setup with Win7 64bit as my main OS and virtualize it with Linux as I am reading more and more about php and mysql being more compatible with Linux. What your thoughts?

8. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Dude you making this way more complicated than it need to be. Download the XAMP or WAMP .exe. Click to install it, start Apache and MySQL in it's control panel. Done.

9. SmugZombie

SmugZombie OT Supporter

Just get a free script / free template... Download Wamp server (free) http://www.wampserver.com/en
    install
    'put online'
    ?????
    Profit
    voila, easy... simple... no expense... no need to learn a bajillion things at once.

Im sure we could help you forward port 80 to your machine if you wanted the website live on the interwebz...

But seriously dude, make it simple for yourself.

Wamp only takes a small portion of cpu, but virtualizing another OS takes a lot..

BUT: you do what you want. Just MHO.

10. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

this

11. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Thanks!