PHP/mySQL books

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZeroDeeFeX, Jul 10, 2003.

1. ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX OT Supporter

Anyone have any good recommendations for PHP and mySQL books? I need to learn for work and I would like a good reference or teaching guide.

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

www.php.net/docs.php has everything you ever needed to know. why waist money if u dont have to?

i know my college used that for its php class. (1st year) and then 2-4 years have more advanced books

edit: fixed link, my bad its .net/docs.php

Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  3. HardTech

HardTech hungry

The page cannot be found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the www.php.org home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
    Internet Explorer

4. ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX OT Supporter

thanks! actually, i was initially told to fix an old R:Base program that was written in 1990 that decided to crap out on them. I told them it would just be better to rewrite the program and they decided on a web based solution and told me to learn PHP.

This is kinda crappy considering i got this project the day i started my job and they told me i wouldnt do any programmign for at least a few months...

5. Cranky

Cranky New Member

Sounds like a sweet opputunity. PHP/MySQL is a great combo. Find tutorials in google for stuff you want and use the docs at the php site as a guide to learn whats going on in the code. Write your code from there you go.

To make it easier to learn I setup my laptop as an http server using apache v2 for win32 and use the win32 php/mysql server win32.

now I can work off or online.

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

WROX's Professional PHP Programming

I can't remember if WROX is even still around (I think they were bought out or something). Its a big red book with about 5 guys on the front cover.

I used this book to jump into PHP and it was great. Lots of working code with little yet rather functional apps at the end of each chapter. Each chapter covered a particular section of PHP. The MySQL chapter is great. A number of the chapters had stuff that I didn't know PHP could even do.

PHP.net has all the info you ever wish you could find. Although I prefer to learn from a book. If you ever get stuck, just do a search on PHP.net and also read the comments! You may find someone had exactly the same problem you are having and they posted the code to solve it!