WEB PHP Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by k2737, Oct 16, 2008.

1. k2737

k2737 Active Member

I want to display the contents of a database and have no trouble doing that but I need a nice way to navigate through all of the records in the database. There are about 1,000 records now so I want to have a navigation menu similar to OT's page menu. So something like:

1-25 26-50 etc

And have each being a link to displaying those records. Do you guys know of a online tutorial or even what something like that would be called to aid in my googling? :o

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

this would be so easy in Drupal :o

3. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if the rows have index/id fields, you could pass 2 variables in a query string.. x variable is what row to start at.. y variable is how many to show per page.. then the php just searches for the starting x index and grabs y rows

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_select.asp

build the links at the bottom of the page using the same variables

4. k2737

k2737 Active Member

Unfortunately there isn't any type of ID or index for each record so they have to be counted. I found this link and I think it will help me do what I want...

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/php/2000/11/02/next_previous.html?page=2

The problem I am having now is when I do the initial count something is timing out and it isn't finishing the query. The database is on an older machine and there are a ton of files stored in the database so I think I am going to have to figure out how to clean that up and fix the timeout issue first. :o