PHP Error Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fl0rine2, Mar 11, 2005.

1. fl0rine2

fl0rine2 New Member

I'm working on setting up script for a website of mine and it keeps returning this error whenever a user logs in from the login field:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/wrstroud/public_html/config.php:50) in /home/wrstroud/public_html/members.php on line 21

Can anyone help me out with this...i'm not too familiar with php.

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Put <?ob_start();?> on the very top of your page, then at the very bottom, put <? ob_end_flush(); ?>

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Using ob_start() should definitely wiggle around the problem. But its not usually good practice to just slap it all over PHP pages (the server takes a performance hit and has to build the entire page in memory before dumping it to the browser).

The proper way to go about this is to troubleshoot what is being output to the browser before your header code (probably doing something with sessions or cookies). If you output text to the browser before issuing your headers, you'll get this error. Usually its just a matter of rethinking your code structure and a matter of strategically sprinkingly in some if() or switch() statements where needed.

But yeah, as a quick fix, ob_start() should get the job done.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i typically run into this error when i'm debugging a page and forgot to take a bit of code out where i was just printing to the page i.e. using echo or something.