PHP Crew: Collaboration? Login Backend?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZiRo, Dec 15, 2004.

1. ZiRo

ZiRo Guest

Basically i've started something which i call 'Universal Login Backend'.

Simply, it works on an inclusive principle, you include a file, name some form inputs and presto, you have a working registration and login.

At the moment it handels some configuration, login, registration, sending activation email (configed/enabled in config), and holding the sessions, log out etc.

I was wondering if anyone is interested in developing it any further with me, i'll do all of it myselff i just dont have time to do 11ty billion features and i'm sure you guys can come up with some that you'd like to add.

At the end i'd like something distributable, configure, query to create the table, working login + registration.

The table comprises of: User ID, Username, Password, Email, Activated.

e.g 11 BobTheMonkey md5(secret) [email protected] 0/1 (digit boolean)

Anyway i'll prowl, any questions just ask.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

have you thought about putting it up on SourceForge or anything? are you developing it open source?

3. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

no offense, but i honestly doubt you'll get anywhere with this type of project. it's all been done before.

4. ZiRo

ZiRo Guest

I never said it hadnt ^^ I just thought i'd try and involve OT

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: Sourceforge is a good way to find people to work on it. Even if you just start to get the basics going, put it on Sourceforge and post that you'd like people to volunteer on it.

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I find login, user registration, and user management to be sort of a personal thing. I mean, if it comes with the package like say a shopping cart or forum, that's fine. But if I'm building my own app, I want 100% complete control over the login and user management. And at the same time, I need it to be as flexible and custom as my apps may require.

If you can swing this, then my hat is off to you.

I've built a user object which handles login, logout, registration, and registration editing. Being template driven, I have been able to swap the code over to other sites I've built. But even I'm not 100% sold my code is worthy to handle all my user management needs in the future. The cool part though is I've written it and I know what the thought process was when writing it so if I need to add features and functionality in the future, I know where and how to add it. This fact alone would keep me away from an open source project of this flavor. Its a real headache to sit for 2-4 hours trying to read someone else's code mess to figure out where and how I need to tweak it to add functionality.

If you can swing all of that, then that's cool...