PHP Blog tutorial

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ryuu Murakami, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Ryuu Murakami

Ryuu Murakami New Member

I've needed something to do for awhile, and my girlfriend is about to go to Japan and said she would like a blog but just wants something simple.

The PHP stuff I've done has never dealt with MySQL unless it was someone else's software I used. All I've done on my own is use text files, but since I'd like to write the blog fully on my own and maybe see about adding nifty features later, I think I should do it correctly.

So does anyone know a link to a relatively short tutorial on blog making?

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

you could use wordpress..

But if you still wanna build it by yourself, I don't know a good tutorial off the top of my head (google might), but you should learn the basics of sql. Interfacing with mysql from php isn't that complex (look up the mysql_* functions and the mysqli object (mysqli only works with MySQL 5)), you'll find good tutorials and info on that on the net.

3. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost Jesus is so f*kin' metal

I swear what I'm about to say is not bragging:

I am no programmer, but I have done some pretty crazy shit with php just by dicking around on php.net. I've never read anything about php other than from there, I never learned how to program in php other than from visiting that site... all I did was use programming methods from other experiences and search through that website to learn about the built-in abilities of php (of which there are many). Plus the site has lots of sample code.

So, if you haven't yet, I would say go there and see what you can find

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

www.livejournal.com
    www.myspace.com
    www.blogspot.com

It's admirable that you'd be willing to build a blog from scratch for your girlfriend, but there's really no need to; the websites I listed above all offer free accounts. I have a friend teaching english in Korea and he's got himself set up with a nice LiveJournal account.

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Wordpress is the cat's ass if you have your own server. I love my multi-user setup :)

7. deusexaethera

Never heard of it, but if they give away the blogging engine, then that means it's probably passed the open-source geek-squad reliability test.

8. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

I agree with Wordpress as well. I've been using it since March for simple notes to myself on a restricted server. I've done a lot of installs for customers. It's super easy to setup and you can modify the hell out of it.

9. Gandi1979

Gandi1979 New Member

just installed wordpress on my site..its quick simple to install and easy to use.

now it's time to add my own flavor to it...

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Typical PHP attitude though... why use pre-existing tools and components when you can build buggy shit from the ground up? :)

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's been my experience to be the other way around. Why use someone else's slow, bloated, buggy shit that doesn't do exactly what you need, and is a bitch to customize and security-fix when I could write it myself, get exactly what I need, have it be easily maintained, lightweight, and fast.

13. Penguin Man

:werd: It was a hack that I wrote because I needed something quick and didn't feel like figuring out someone else's code. It works fairly well, though, I haven't found any serious bugs.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

But its pretty clear from this attitude that you've never built anything that had to scale much at all. The answer is because you can do with components in a short time what would take you years to do on your own, and the open community keeps the code solid a la the CPAN, the Linux Kernel, etc.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I didn't mean your plugin. The very fact that you're writing a plugin means you're not reinventin the wheel... you're adding a spoke!

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Funny that you say that, because I've had to re-write FOSS and Commercial code because it couldn't handle the stresses we were putting it through... My code worked fine.

17. Penguin Man

Ah, I see. I actually _did_ re-invent the wheel a bit, since there are a number of PHP iCal parsers and I wrote my own, but most of the ones I found were integrated into other projects and I didn't want to extricate them for my own purposes. However, I haven't seen another plugin that does exactly what mine does, so I guess it's fairly innovative.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Thats fine on the scale you're working. I'm going to stop ragging on you, because you're obviously using PHP for what it was intended: Personal Home Pages. This makes sense, in the context of your computer shop.

19. deusexaethera

Because you have the requisite knowledge to make it work right. This guy could probably do better to set his g/f up with a big-name blog while he practices making his own blog.

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Why waste time getting a blog to work just right in PHP when there are great packages already out there? Why reinvent the wheel? Part of intelligence is knowing how to spend your time effectively.

You know, its not surprising that he ALWAYS has to redo everything. He always works in PHP. Thats what I've been saying all along: PHP code is always shit. Thats why I hate the language. I've tried to reuse PHP code before. Its always a nightmare. Jolly agrees. Maybe his code is the exception, but does he publish?

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My code is object oriented, and I re-use much of what I write. In fact, I have my presentation layer in a collection of objects and that gets used on every site I design...

PHP can be a very great language. However, there's a lot of no-good-shit-heads that learn just enough to be dangerous and so they go around trying to write PHP and it comes out like dog poo. There is the same problem with perl, imo...

Bad code is bad code, regardless of what language it was intened to be written in.