PHP and MySQL question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VBGOD, Apr 2, 2004.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

In your opinion, am I going about this the "correct" way? I'm starting out very small. Just a database with one table.

[​IMG]

Is this the way to edit/create within MySQL? I just have to figure out how to show this data using PHP. You know, connecting to the database and then looping through a certain table.

The [Create PHP Code] just displays this:

Code:
    $sql = 'SELECT * '
            . ' FROM `Reviews` '
            . ' WHERE 1 LIMIT 0, 30'; 
    By the way, this http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ is wonderful documentation.

2. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I'd do first and last name and city and state in different columns. Depending on it's use.

3. mf101

mf101 Guest

:uh:

That's just PHPMyAdmin... made for easy administration of the MySQL database. It's not a PHP authoring environment.

4. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

:hsugh: :hsugh: :hsugh: I know this. What you see above is an admin tool to access my MySQL database. It felt clumsy at first, and I was wondering if this particular tool is considered unprofessional. In any case, I'm going to have to hook up to that database using PHP. Guess I'll do some searching...

5. mf101

mf101 Guest

You don't say... that's what I just said :ugh:

It gets the job done... what else are you looking for or hoping it'll do for you? You could always check out SQLyog :dunno:

So what are you having a problem with? Are you looking for something to generate PHP code for you? Be a man, write it yourself... you'll learn a hell of a lot more. Otherwise, use Dreamweaver, but it generates some iffy code... but it's a good authoring environment overall.

6. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Dude, don't even go there.

This is a test. The proper way to do this is to have a main Users table with all of the user's information. The primary key can be UserID. The Reviews table would contain the foreign key titled UserID, and it would linked to the Users table.

7. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

8. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Ouch, it sucks you have to use phpMyAdmin to access your database. If you were hosted by me, you could use a free tool similar to Enterprise Manager, only for MySQL. :)

9. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Damn...

I like the idea of using a desktop program vs web/php page.

My Linux hosts are fantastic though. I love it. So I'll keep my site where it is for now.

10. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Ok, I found mysqlcc (Desktop app). Amazing! :bowdown:

11. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

ok. LAST post.

[​IMG]

:bowdown:

12. Ximian

Ximian New Member

There's also MySQL Administrator (in alpha) for actual ADMINISTRATION of the server.

13. carlin

carlin Guest

14. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

15. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Bah... mysqlcc is fucking great! :p It reminds me of a much lighter version of SQL Server Enterprise Manager.

16. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I prefer MySQL Front over MySQL CC.