PHP and loading code dynamically

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Mar 18, 2000
    Off and on I've been thinking about this problem: I have a PHP script which sets up a socket server. The socket server works and does its job nicely, but I'd like to add functionality to the server (think of it as adding menu options - I wish to add code to handle the new menu options). But I really don't want to have to start and stop the script. So I wish to dynamically load code.

By default, the eval() trick would work. It gets a little messy trying to escape everything just right.

I've thought about using include and require. The trick is I'm not sure if they do any caching. I don't think either one does. The ones I'd have to stay away from would be include_once() and require_once() (these won't work).

Now to make things a little more interesting, I really only want the code to be reloaded when the code gets updated (versus reloading it every interation of the "server duties" loop). I'm thinking file dates and looking for a change in date, but I'm not sure I want PHP hitting up the file all the time even though the file hasn't been updated. Hmm...