A&P Photoshop technician for portrait studio?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by nozoki, Apr 6, 2007.

1. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

This job was posted at school and I'm supposed to meet with the guy next week for more info. Any idea what a job like this would entail? Not sure if I'm qualified.

2. PPI or PPH? Better hope it's per hour

If you're not sure you are qualified good luck :bigthumb:

3. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

probably touch ups, resizing, collages, etc.

I did a lot of work as a "Photoshop Technician" for a photo studio a couple years ago...

their web site www.te-studios.com

4. nozoki

Thanks! I kinda figured it would be that kind of general stuff, since it's working with new images. I'm in school now for some graphic design/ computer graphics classes and I've been farting with PS for years, so I think I could handle that stuff. As long as it pays what I need.

5. like I said earlier, better hope it's a pay per hour job. If pay per image get the hell out because you are going to get raped!! :run:

With no portfoilo and only a few images to demonstrate your worth you can easily get $20/hour to start if you have any basic knowledge and skill. If you are in a big city and you're dealing with a bigger client you can bump up your starting rate. Build yourself a portfolio, the better it is the more valuable you will be to potential clients. :bigthumb:

6. nozoki

Pretty sure it's hourly. Guy said it would be M-F full time. He just didn't go into details about what the duties are yet. Will find out on Wednesday. I hope you're right about the easily getting $20 an hour thing. People in this town are friggin cheapskates though. Central VA kinda sucks like that.

7. :mamoru: find out what he wants you to do before you blurt out $20/hour :mamoru: And find out what he's willing to offer first. If he's a cheapskate he'll probably offer 12-15/hour :mamoru: That might be good for you :dunno: Good luck though, you're going to hate it. :bigthumb:

8. nozoki

Well, I already hate putting poorly designed pharmacuetical equipment together in a factory for 15 bucks an hour, so If I can get a comperable salary in a field I actually want to work in then I'd take it. Just getting into photography, so working with this guy would get my foot in the door.

9. true

if he tries to lowball you tell him this. :bigthumb:

"i'm making 15/hr now in a field unrelated to the field you want to be in, photography. And you're just lookign to get a foot in the door"

Learn alot about something you like while making money, nothing wrong with that :cool:

10. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I dont know where you are located, but I think you'll be lucky to get $20/hr unless you are highly skilled. In the DC area, I have checked into this and going rate is somewhere around $12/hr give or take a few bucks.

11. redna

redna New Member

Obviously you know nothing about negotiating salary.... That would be like saying, "I'll take anything i can make my bills on to get into this industry" in which case they will be much more firm on what they offer even if they can afford more.

First and foremost, NEVER tell them what you want to make... ALWAYS make them offer you money first. I've had jobs that I made offer me first that surprised the hell out of me. I went into a job hoping to make 35K a year but made them offer me money first and I ended up getting 42K a year right off the bat. At that point i changed to trying to get 48K because i knew that 42K was their lowest expected to pay. I ended up getting 45K with a hell of a bonus package and stock options that were equivelant to about 55K. Had i gone in there and blurted out that i wanted to make 35K I would have easily got the job and it would be a pain in the ass for me to make raises because i would appear to be a push over that undervalued his time.

I would tell them that you're happy where you are and that you're currently making 17/hr (they can't check your wage). Tell them that this industry is something that you've been interested in for a while and would be willing to make a latteral move (meaning they pay you the same with the same benefits) to get in.

If they shoot you down on that, tell him you'd like to be able to work something out and ask how he feels about a probation period. Tell him you're definately worth 17/hr and if he gives you 60 days you'll prove it to him. Then settle on a starting salary (say 14/hr for the first 60 days) and if you pass your review you get bumped to 17/hr.

Then work your ass off for those 60 days and prove yourself.

/rant

12. :rofl: holy crap!! @ $12/hr i'd laugh and walk out especially in a big city like DC!!!

13. Yeah I have no clue about anything.

:mamoru: Funny you should say this today. I was working with one of my bigger clients today, working along side the CEO in his office on my computer making another catalog for him. A big distributor came in to talk to the CEO and noticed I was working on the catalog. :rofl: To make a long story short.. The guy originally came in to discuss business with the CEO of the billion dollar company but was often distracted and was telling my boss how much he admired the catalog and he kept looking at my monitor and talking to me, and kept asking me questions. Even asked me infront of my client if he can hire me to do some work for him and blah blah blah blah, I gave him my business card. boom..... picked up another client that easy. Money in the bank! Already got email from the guy and he already called me, $35/hour starting monday. I should have asked for more, he was a pushover. :mamoru:

I don't want to sound arogant but I don't need to negotiate wages because I get what I want, so you're right I don't know what I'm talking about :mamoru: