Photoshop Help: How to select an exactly pixel portion of a full image?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tie5to, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Tie5to

Tie5to New Member

One of my website's templates requires thumbnails to be a certain pixel ratio to display the image properly. I can't figure out how to select an exact pixel ratio from a larger image that I have for thumbnail purposes. For example if I have an original image at 800x600 but want to select a small portion of it at exactly 263x108 how can I make the 'box selector' tool to be exactly those proportions so that I can copy/make a new image out of that portion.

2. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Make a new empty template at the size you want, copy the image and paste it into your new one. Adjust it so you have the portion you want

3. Tie5to

Tie5to New Member

Jesus I swore I tried that before and it didn't work! I guess I was using the wrong cursor type to move the image to where I wanted it. Thanks

4. CodeX

CodeX Guest

or you simply drag the box until that size is displayed, then you can move the selection rectangle anywhere you want on the image without changing the dimensions of the selection.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Select the rectangle tool
    In the toolbar across the top set Style to Fixed Size
    Enter in the width and height you want
    Click on the image and the rectangle is made, you can move it around to where you want but click+drag inside the selected area
    Image->Crop
    Save As or do whatever else you need to.