A&P Photoshop CS4 Scratch Disk & SSDs

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ///Mik3, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

So i'm going to be using an intel x25m SSD as my OS/Applications drive in my new computer build. I was wondering what would yield me the best performance. Should i set my scratch disk to be my SSD or to my WD 640gb HDD?

2. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

I'm not up on current SSD models, but if that intel doesn't support TRIM, then I wouldn't use it as a scratch disk.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

try either. if it's the WD 640 i have, that fucker is ultra fast for a normal HD. they have come a long way

4. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

Yes the x25m does support TRIM. So should i go ahead and set it as my first scratch disk?

I think it is. It's the one that got a ton of good reviews for being really fast for a 7200rpm drive. it's this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=western_digita_640-_-22-136-218-_-Product

not the 32MB cache one however.

5. TheManLouisianaFace

This is also true. The (non-green) 640gb WDs are very fast. I use them in my drobo, mac, pc, anywhere I can. Velociraptor like speed without the heat, cost, noise, and high failure rate.

6. Chiron

Chiron New Member

The SSD.

7. TheManLouisianaFace

If it supports trim, then all the writing/deleting shouldn't cause the creeping slowness problems. Up to you, try it either way. If you don't notice the difference, I'd just use the WD, and give the intel's wear leveling a break.

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i'm finding it hard to switch to SSD with the WD's being so good.

9. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

what would be a good way to "benchmark" them against eachother?

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

also, the old school of thought for PC gaming used to be OS on 1 drive and games on another for best performance. i'm not sure how the scratch drive's needs compare, but with modern HDs I have both the OS and games on the same drive and see 0 performance loss.

i dont think you can lose either way.

11. TheManLouisianaFace

There was such a long stretch where I, and many others wouldn't even touch Western Digital. (The early 2000's era BB series drives were ridiculous.) But now, man, they are kicking ass!

The green series is phenomenal: cheap, decent speed, cool, reliable. The normal 640gb is super fast. That new 2TB 64meg cache RE4 is :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: WD is having a good run.

12. TheManLouisianaFace

There's no need to benchmark, the intel will win in a synthetic no questions asked. Just try them both out, man. Seat o' the pants benchmark.

13. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

agreed. i was working at a computer shop during college when the 20gigs were the best bang for the buck. so many WD's sucked. i always used maxtor. now that maxtor was absorbed, it's been WD. I'm afraid of Seagate

and green drives for the win. i'm glad there's a cheap solution for shit like storage, externals, and NAS. no need for high performance expensive drives in those

14. TheManLouisianaFace

Same here! Except I was in high school at that time :mamoru: Those fucking 20gig pieces of shit :ugh:

Yeah I was always a seagate fan, but I've recently been bitten by them three times in a row. (Twice from their bad firmware, once from just flat out eating itself without warning.)

Been loving the new WD lines.

15. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

16. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

get more ram and do away with a scratch disk :o

17. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

well, i will have 6gb. I was considering going w/ 12, but i figured i'd see how 6 feels for now. But either way, i'm sure there's a chance at some point where photoshop will need a scratch disk, especially working w/ large files, so i just wanted to know what would be best.

18. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

of all the info ive read, setting teh SSD to scratchdisk wont help Photoshop. something about 100kb blocks being written at a time. They said you actually get slower performance. Definitely use it for your OS and apps, but id be weary of setting it as a scratch disk.