Photoshop CS2 - Color white shows up yellowish?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NPH, Jun 17, 2006.

1. NPH

NPH Guest

When I create a new image (File, New).. with a white background, the white background comes up yellowish.. ???

I've tried playing around with the color profles/settings.. white seems white until I create a new file (white background shows yellowish)?

How can I fix this?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try printing out a blank image with the yellowish background, and see if it comes out yellowish on paper as well. It could be that Photoshop is using your screen's color profile to determine that it needs to counteract the bluish tint of the screen with a yellowish background, so that what you see onscreen will be the same on paper.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I've had a similar problem. I deleted my LCD drivers and it worked fine after that.

4. NPH

NPH Guest

how can I reset the color profles and correct this?

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

sounds like a monitor calibration issue maybe??

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I'm pretty sure adobe has a program they install to your control panel to recalibrate it. Do a search in photoshop's help file to learn how.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Color syncing is a motherfucker. And even if you do it all right, you've still got to inspect print proofs. I hate printing.

8. deusexaethera

Seriously, print out a blank image and see if it prints out yellowish or pure white. If it prints out white, then you're fine. It could be that what you expect to be white on your screen is actually slightly bluish (actually, is almost certainly is), and Adobe is compensating for that.

9. NPH

NPH Guest

Once I save it, the image shows white as white (outside of photoshop). It prints white too. :dunno:
    It's annoying as fuck under working conditions.

10. deusexaethera

Okay, so Photoshop IS compensating for the bluish tint that all video screens tend to have. And when you print, the yellowish color is getting mapped back to pure white, so it should be fine.

To see what I mean about the bluish tint, hold a piece of paper next to a screen with a blank white MSPaint bitmap open; you'll see how much bluer the screen is than the paper. Photoshop is ensuring that what you see will be what you get; you should thank it.