A&P Photos of my fish - Help!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Laurel, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Okay, so I don't have the most amazing camera, but it's all I can afford, and really the only thing that I'd even use a dslr on is shooting my fish, and I can't justify spending that $$ on such a small hobby.

My camera is a fuji finepix s700. It has manual modes, and I'm still messing around with them quite a bit. I know having lighting from just above is probably best, but I can't seem to get clear shots with just the aquarium light, and I don't have a remote flash. I've found that macro mode works best. I think my biggest problem is not being able to manually focus, and these buggers swim so fast that by the time the cam. focuses, the fish is gone. Do any of you have experience shooting aquariums and can give me some pointers?
    [​IMG]
    Here are some of my photos-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this is one of the better no-flash ones
    [​IMG]

TIA! I really could use the help!:hsd:

2. Halcyon

Halcyon New Member

All I gotta say is Holy Hell that water is CLEAR! Are you using a housing to submerse the camera?

3. Laurel

Laurel New Member

No. That's through the glass on the aquarium. I have an excellent filter. So long as the glass is clean, the fish look like they're swimming in air. Out of every 50 shots, probably 2 come out that I like.

4. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

try more light? in theory, it should speed up the auto focus and shutter speed on your camera a little bit.

5. Laurel

Laurel New Member

The tank is so bright already. I don't know that I could add more light to the top without washing out the fish. I have a fixture with two 48" 9325ºK bulbs. I've been thinking of getting an actinic bulb to replace one of the lower temp. ones.

6. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

PS auto contrast :dunno:
    before
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

edit: my fav is #2

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  7. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Thanks! I try not to photoshop the actual fish in my photos too much, I feel that I am misrepresenting their colors, but the auto contrast is nice!

I love the photo of that fish. I did ps that one a little, I removed a couple pieces of debris from the sand, and darkened it to make the fish stand out a little more. Her name is Esmerelda.

Thanks for the input!

8. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I don't care about the photo's.... I'm more interested in your filter set up :o

9. Laurel

Laurel New Member

It's a 75 gallon with a Whisper 40(though I'd recommend an aquaclear if you want a HOB style filter, the whisper doesn't exactly whisper) as well as a Marineland C360 Canister filter. I also have a small powerhead in the back to keep poo from settling. Instead of the charcoal inserts for the marineland I put 2 extra polishing floss pads in. It has the ceramic rings and bio balls for biological filtration, and for coarse filter media, just the stock large cell foam. I would wholeheartedly recommend the marineland C-series filters. They're much less expensive than the Eheims and are getting better reviews. Mine is very quiet as well. I had a junk Penn-Plax Cascade canister before this and the water was ALWAY cloudy, but when I got this it was crystal clear within a day. I <3 it!

10. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Here's a full tank shot, but I've since rearranged the rocks so they're all sitting flat, but the stack is just as tall. It provides more, smaller caves I've found.
    [​IMG]

11. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

we have a fluval 304 canister filter in a 20gal aquarium and we can't seem to keep the water clean for more than a day or 2... but I think it has something to do with our well water....

12. Laurel

Laurel New Member

What kind of fish are you keeping? How could your well water be the cause of this? What size water changes are you doing? Are you overfeeding? Perhaps you are clogging up your filter media and it's causing too much bypass. That's what I've run into with most HOB filters, and many canisters do that as well.

My bet is on the filter just getting plugged up and either cutting down it's flow rate dramatically, or bypassing dirty water. If it stays clear for a day or 2 then chances are it's not your water.

If you're looking for something to make cheap filter floss, go to a fabric store and get some quilt batting. Just make sure it's not the type that's designed to be non-flammable or mold-resistant, as those have chemicals that are not too good for fish.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That is nuts. You must clean that tank three times a day.

14. Laurel

Laurel New Member

30% water change weekly. Hell, who am I kidding, I'm lazy. I usually go 1.5 weeks between water changes, sometimes 2. I finally fine-tuned it to the point where poo doesn't collect on the sand anymore. I have enough current going around the tank that it stays suspended until one of the filters sucks it up. Plus the 16 fish that I have are all fairly small still, the largest being about 4"

15. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Any more criticism?

16. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoot at an angle and put a tissue over the flash.

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

18. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

need to fix the bottom part of that fish, where the shadow is touching the lighted area. it produced some weird outline type effect.

19. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

try getting more varied shots and not all from teh front

20. eof

eof New Member

You need off camera flash to take your aquarium photos to the next level.

Manual focus is not your problem...

[​IMG]

I had two flashes pointing down into the aquarium from above on this picture. I need a new aquarium though because mine is a piece of shit...thickest glass ever and it is scratched to shit.... :hs:

Oh and generally speaking if you shoot from the front with a flash you get shitty shadows...

Check out http://www.cichlid-forum.com they have a aquarium photography subforum with some pretty good stuff. I can't check it out anymore because I am ip banned...:hs:

21. Gromer

Gromer Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K!

That tank is so pimp looking. How much would a setup like that cost if you don't mind me asking?

I liked #2 with the black sand as the background. Dunno why, just like the black sand in it.

22. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

get out of here whore

23. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

Metz has a slave flash that works with P&S cameras ... I'll see if I can find it for you

24. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

25. eof

eof New Member

:werd:

Get two or three of those fuckers and take your canopy off and either diffuse them through something (like a Tupperware container) or just use them raw shooting straight down. Then you get more natural shadows and you will find that your pictures will look a lot better.

Then the only thing you will need to do is get a DSLR...:hs: