A&P Photos of Fireworks

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by AmosBanks, May 24, 2009.

1. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

I took these at Navy Pier in Chicago. They have a show every Saturday night at 10:15. The show isn't as good as my hometown Detroit fireworks, but they will do till I get home.

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

Other than multiple explosions in the same frame, what makes a good fireworks photo? Is there an ideal combination of ISO and shutter speed for fireworks? Thanks OTAP!

2. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

It all depends on what look youre going for. Theres not a 'fireworks setting' if thats what youre looking for...

3. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

This is what i've found to be the best firework shots:

--Getting the first set of fireworks to reduce the amount of smoke in air
    --low ISO
    --Long enough shutter (not too short, not too long)
    --Good amount of contrast in PP (makes darks darker and brings out some of the colors)

4. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Some of my shots from last 4th.

- Focus manual at around infinity
    - Exposure varied on the pace of the fireworks show.
    - Aperture around f/11
    - ISO 100-200

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

great shots!

6. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Very nice...you are doing it right.

7. Tensai81

Tensai81 OT Supporter

I like them to a point...I won't really sugarcoat because this is OTAP and that's not we're here for:

1) don't cut off the explosion if you can. I know it's hard to get it all in the frame being 2000 yards away and all...also the lake wave in the bottom left is very distracting, crop it out. a little bump in black in LR probably wouldn't hurt that much either...I'll say it here and number 4 as well. PELF...
    2) I love the colors of the explosion, nice catch, not very distracting in terms of multicolors drawing my eye every which way. again with the cutting off of the spray, as in Nicholas's post, it only works when the spray is the main focus. The horizon is very distracting, I'm here to see fireworks, not buildings :dunno:
    3) As you can see here, it's always good to grab fireworks shots in the first 5 minutes or on a windy day. The smoke trails are very distracting. you did a very good job trying to blend them into the shot on this one, but still a little distracting and almost snapshotish in the attempt. I'm not advanced enough to tell you how to avoid these :hs:
    4)the multifocus plane in this one doesn't draw my eye to anything...I'm focusing on the big trails, then the small multicolor ones...I'm confused on what the main subject is....it's pretty...but in a chaos kinda pretty...trails of smoke too...also pelfed horizons on all 4 shots...please fix that...

Out of the 4, I would say #2 is the one you should spend the most time on PP for a decent shot the others...meh :dunno: