A&P Photos for non-profit web site use

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DMClark, Mar 7, 2007.

1. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I've been donating my time to the local Foster Program (well, donating because it is required for a class I am taking this semester).

The Foster program is a non-profit agency that is part of the social services department run by the county government.

They have let me know their current goal is to focus on attraction of families for teenage foster children as there is a severe shortage in their area. So they have to pay a ridiculous amount of money for private professionally trained foster companies.

So I need to find some pictures of kids around that age that can be used.

I've been researching the creative commons license, still am not fully sure which one applies to me and what i can use.

If anything, can anyone point me in some directions with pictures I'll be able to use that are of fairly good quality. Problem with places like flickr, it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Any help would be appreciated.

(Note: Photos are going to be manipulated to better fit into site, both being resized and having figures "cut out" of them.)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  2. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I'd try something like www.istockphoto.com or one of the micro stock sites. It will cost minimal money and you should be able to find exactly what you are looking for.

Beyond that, you might be able to find a local photographer willing to donate some of their time and services to shoot a few children that could be used exactly as you need them.

3. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I have seen that but I am trying to avoid it based on the fact I'm not really looking to spend money towards this site, I'm already donating a great amount of time, sure it isn't much money, at the same time, I have no real income at the same time so any more I put out right now I'm not getting back.

4. yeah I'm sure any local photographer would be willing to give support to this project that is for a good cause, that is of corse as long as he is given photo credit on any photos published. This would not be said of corse but it makes for great free advertisement and it looks good because you are donating your time for a good cause.

5. Blair

Blair New Member

istockphoto.com

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

They're non-profit, that doesnt mean they dont have any money. I would think they could easily pony up 5 dollars for you to get 5 photos of istock for their work.

7. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

:werd: 5 dollars is already pretty damn cheap

how much cheaper can people get :rolleyes:

8. julia!

julia! New Member

go2images.com ?

9. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

Royalty free images right?

http://www.sxc.hu/

:)

Thats the place i go to for photos. Now, can someone point me to a place that has good clipart or drawings that are royalty free.
    :x::x::x::x:

10. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

Well, the budget they have is $0 right now. They had one last year, suffice to say they have exactly $0 this year because they didn't get the grant this year they normally do.

I can't see them spending $20 either simply due to the fact that their main activity to spend money on every year is something during foster month (may I believe) for their foster families, and sometimes kids. Usually with entertaining activities as well as some food when they can afford it, something to show them appreciation. They might have the first lady of Va come and speak to their families as well.

So, if you think about it, $20 might be better spent else where. As the site I've made without any images they would take as it is miles above what they have now, but I'm not going to half ass it if I have the time to do so.

Thank you, certainly worth investigating.

11. Blair

Blair New Member

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

No offense, but I hate this crap and bullshit attitudes like this. I understand people work with little to no budgets, but be real.

Unless NO ONE for the organization is being paid a dime, then they have a budget. If these people actually gave a shit about the work their doing, they could all pack a lunch for a day and put their lunch money toward some photos and get a few things off istock or another micro site.

To say that the "$20 could be be better spent elsewhere" I dont believe for a second. If they are doing "foster month" for any number of kids $20 isnt going to make a difference. If you were asking for $200 that would be different, but $20 c'mon. And besides that, you can get 600x800 images for $2 damn dollars. If these people cant come up with $20 among them for 10 photos for their site, then I cant beleive they give even the slightest shit for what they are doing.

Hell, I understand you are volunteeging, but be real here. If I could do a good job and it would cost me $5 or $10 to do it, I'd do it. If you cant come up with that you must be living in the gutter.

Trust me, I know what its like for money to be tight. I was 30 years old and living with my parents when I quit my job and started my business. But you can be damned sure that if there was something that might actually HELP my business I could find $10 to invest in it.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I just see this BS every day "we dont have any money." Bullshit. They just dont want to SPEND any money. If they really cared, they could find it.

Spend $10 and write it off as a donation. Get the employees to pitch in the change from their pocket one day and I bet you could get enough to buy 5 images. This isnt huge money here, you can find a photo off istock in the cushions of your couch.

Be for real here and do whats right.

Good God, photography has gone downhill with companies like istock offereing royalty free images for a buck and even THAT is cheap enough for some. Until we are all just doing this as a hobby for free it wont end. Even then, they'll want us to pay them to give them photos. :squint: