A&P Photojournalists?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by juneaujeep, Dec 8, 2006.

1. juneaujeep

juneaujeep Jeep Crew

I am kind of interested in becoming a photojournalist. I was just wondering if any of you guys are and if you could give me some advice that would point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance.

2. mojito

mojito New Member

no but I play one on TV :o

I do some PJ work here and there.

Its a very tough cut throat industry, extremely demanding conditions, poor pay, and politics/networking often comes into play with jobs.

Best place to start is build the best portfolio you can. Go everywhere you can, especially when big news happens. Then go to news/art directors. Just don't expect to go work for national geographic next month.

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I was a newspaper photographer for three years then switched to tv and shot news for another couple years. On the plus side there is adventure, excitment and the thrill of the chase. On the downside there is the boredom, unusual hours, lower pay and frustration that comes from dealing with deadlines on a daily basis. Still, the best thing about my job was that you never knew what would happen on any given day and at the end of the day your job was done.

If you think you want to pursue this as a career you will need to learn photography skills first then apply for jobs.

4. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

5. Nullius

Nullius New Member

wow, just wow

6. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Cool, I plan on doing this as well. I'm switching schools next semester from Business to Photography. JColman, how "bad" is the pay? My father spoke with me about this and I told him I wanna work for a newspaper or magazine so there is a job everyday (rather than freelancing) but I'd like to know about the pay.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

rent "the photographers" and "behind the lens" by national geo

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You'd have to check current offerings. It's been over 30 years since I shot pics for a paper. However, pay will depend on two things: Size of the paper and your skills/experience. Larger metro papers will pay better than a smaller one.

Remember this though...it's more important to like what you're doing than worry about pay. You can certainly make enough money to make a living working for any paper or magazine but job satisfaction counts for a whole lot more.

9. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Exactly. That's the main reason I'm switching from a major that will give me a guaranteed job(for the most part), but at the same time it would be something that I'd hate. Going to work at an office from 9-5 FTL.

I'd rather do something I love and not get payed as much than do something I'd hate and get payed more. I live in NY (about 30-40 mins from Manhattan) so I'm not too worried about finding a magazine or newspaper to work for.

10. juneaujeep

juneaujeep Jeep Crew

Im a junior in high school right now but which university is the best for PJ work. I've heard U of Missouri has one and Ohio State but what are some other good ones?

11. natelam

natelam New Member

Get involved with your university paper, access to equipment and experience with how the politics of PJ works on a small scale. Get your press pass. I shot a few years for the UCLA Daily Bruin when I was in undergrad but felt oppressed and started my own commercial business instead. Something you don't want to overlook is editorial work. Get familiar with the editorial process without the 12 hour deadline. Start at a small local magazine, if you're lucky you will get some good experience, good stories. Start networking, get the lead to take you under his wing. Move up the chain, build a portfolio, then start running.

If there's one piece of advice I have - KEEP YOUR BUSINESS MAJOR. You'll have more well rounded life experience/education and a back up plan.

Juneau Jeep: there is no "pj university". If you're dead set on it, get a degree in Communications, learn to write, work on your photography skills as a University PJ. I highly recommend UCLA, the Daily Bruin has consistently been at the top for overall university papers and has an outstanding Comm program or Fine Arts if you want to really throw your self into photography.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  12. juneaujeep

juneaujeep Jeep Crew

Thank you natelam i'll remember that

13. Bad move. Stay with business classes. PJ is just easy. The pay sucks though. You get a call once a week and you're given a list of upcoming events to shoot. If you are unavailable for alot of events they will give you fewer events and give other photographers more work. If you're late or don't produce great results the same will happen to you. Basically, well I don't know how it is in other areas but here you can get $100-$250 for an event that lasts 1 hour - 8 hours. Sometimes it's pretty cool because you can get scheduled for 2 or more events in one day! So it is pretty easy money but events don't come every day, plus $600 a week might be great money for you but not really enough to survive off of. But JColeman said it 100% correct. Whenever you go to an event MAKE SURE you have many many business cards. When you take people's pics and get their information slide them one of your business cards. Also alot of people will come up to you, "who do you work for". Then you say ah "blah blah blah newspaper" then slide them a business card. People see you're a newspaper photographer and they now have your business card so you're no joke in their minds, whenever they need any pics they WILL call you. Deadlines suck but it's not soo bad that you'll lose any sleep over. later

14. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

sounds like networking is the key to this

Natelam advice sounds very sound

15. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

:werd:

IMO the key to being successful(money wise) behind the camera is 80% marketing/business skill 20% camera skill.