A&P Photography Schools?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by RiCePiCkR, Jul 9, 2008.

1. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

i didn't want to hijack the other thread, but what's OTAP's view on majoring in photography or enrolling in a photography school.

i'm currently a senior at OU majoring in zoology, but i'm at the point where i don't want anything to do with this field. i'm thinking about transferring because OU's photography program doesn't really strike my fancy.

my question for you guys is if anyone majored or is majoring in photography? what school did you go to? what is a good photography school?

i'm currently looking at nyu or nyit but i really don't know much. thanks for the halp

2. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

Very few people do what their major was in high school.

3. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

You had a major in high school? :eek3:

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I'm currently enrolled at the University of Oregon and going for my Masters of Fine Arts and have two views of it, like anything else in life. One: life is what you make of it and same goes with any degree you get. Two: see number one.

I know people that have gone to school for photography and wound up working at banks ... as tellers. I also know people that have become quite successful commercial photographers out of school and then there are people, like myself, who are going for a job in teaching. My dream job is teaching photography or commercial/travel photographer and teaching at a university will not happen without at least a masters degree.

The way I see the schooling itself is a refinement of the skills you already have whether you know you have them or not. It's not going to teach you how to be creative or become a revolutionary photographer - it's going to teach you how to obtain the outcome you have in your head.

Of course this is OT, so most people will shun degrees in art. However, a lot of the people I love and respect are professors who busted their ass in college and studied mixed media techniques, struggled for years at low-level teaching jobs and then eventually become full-fledged professors of art.

At school and around town, I do whatever I can with my camera. I have shot for my school paper, the large daily paper, models, friends, weddings etc and have made a small name for myself and that along with my degree I know I will be good but that all comes down to view #1 up there ^^

Dunno if that helps :dunno:

5. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

OMFG what was I thinking.... COLLEGE I MEAN!

:rofl:

6. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

yeah, reading this helps a lot. i just need to put into perspective what changing my major in photography would entail.

i totally understand what you're saying about how school refines the skills you have or unleashes it. i just have to decide if going to school for this is worth it. taking out more loans, etc.

thanks for the help!

7. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

If you can teach yourself, school is completely overrated. With professional jobs like photography, your body of work is your resume. Nobody cares where you came from if you cant produce a decent picture.

Going to school for photography is really only paying for the connections that you will get. If youre not outgoing, this may be something that you need.

8. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

LOLz

9. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

You actually have a great point about people that do nothing with their degrees. Case in point, my wife. She graduated from univ. of Texas with a bio degree with intentions of going back and getting her masters so she could do research.

Forward 3 years, she has a decently successful wedding stationary buisness that has come along in a year and half what she didn't imagine doing in 5 and she owns a high end nail salon in the Galleria area here in houston.

Her dad funded every penny for her school, and I don't think (in all honesty) my wife knows where that $50,000 piece of paper she calls her diploma is sitting. But at the same time, she loves what she's doing because she has the opportunity to be a stay at home mom and make her own schedule when it comes to our son.

Top it all off, she has 5 weddings due this month starting this weekend at an avg cost of $1500+ per order. I don't think she's regreting her decision at all. As a matter of fact, it inspires me to learn as much as I can in photography so down the road we can compliment each others business and be the 1-2 punch.

10. mtkversion

Yep, looking back on my pathetic life I'm glad I didn't trudge through 4-6 years of school and get in debt over that degree.

To me, college only teaches you how to study/prepare for shit .. I can do that for free and not put a financial burden on myself for years to come.

I'm 27 now with no degree but I'm doing just as well as some of my friends who went and got that almight piece of paper but they're still working in slum ass jobs because the job market is so lousy. On top of that, I have NO debt, while some of my friends will be paying up to $45,000 back over the course of 20 years .. LOL.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

[Coming from a Brookie]
    the degree itself is worthless
    But the experience you get is priceless. It would be near impossible to get as well rounded of experience anywhere else. So it depends on what you want to do. If all you want is to shoot cars for a magazine, it would be a waste.

12. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

yes and no. I went to two photography schools and learned a lot more than I could have learned on my own. Then again, this was in the late 60's, early 70's before the internet.

The point is that while anyone can learn on their own, you don't have the structured learning environment that a school offers. In a school environment you are going to be shooting and learning at a much quicker pace than you will on your own. You'll also have instructors who will help you when you are stuck on a problem, or critique your work and generally make sure that you're on the right path. Going to a good photography school will also help you to land your first job. At least it did for me.

13. mojito

mojito New Member

:werd:

learning from working profs > *
    if you go and intern somewhere, you learn one style and way of doing it. and rarely do you get to experiment or learn anything outside their genre

14. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

yeah, a degree is really not high on my list. what i'm looking for is what you just outlined, the experience, and the structure. i can learn from the internet, but i guess i'm just the type of person who needs structure and critique, something the internet really doesn't give me.

my dream is to open up my own business, shooting weddings, portraits, etc.

15. RiCePiCkR

RiCePiCkR haay

thank you, this was exactly the answer i was looking for.

16. mojito

mojito New Member

you have a few options.

go to a school. you'll pay a lot, but you'll get a very broad education that will allow you to do anything, and the longer you stay the more specific to your area it will get.

intern/2nd shoot. harder to do now and often ends in a mess without a upfront contract.

Bella. ask tits for more info.

workshops. learn from the best. but pricey and infrequent. you'll become an expert in small specific areas but not as well educated overall. (what good is mastering flash if you don't know how to properly light a person)

17. isaac86hatch

Along with Coleman up there, yes and no. It really depends on the job/work you're looking for. If I, or anyone else wanted to get an internship at say a well-known magazine or newspaper you have to go about it a certain way and this is an internship.

Now, I don't know how things work where you are, but every newspaper on the West Coast has dropped their number of internships to almost nothing. Getting one requires you to have a very solid G.P.A. from a well-known school, a damn good portfolio, previous intern work at smaller papers and luck. There are people that have quit full time jobs at smaller papers just to take internships at The Oregonian and The Register-Guard that pay little to nothing in the hopes that when their internship is up they can become pee-ons that make a bit more money.

School is the cornerstone to all of these things. Are there amateurs out there that can out shoot pros? Of course. But without school they are not even going to get their portfolio looked at.

It's not like school ONLY teaches you how to shoot. You also learn Math, Science, Writing, Art History, Econ, Business and furthermore communications skills that get you a long way in this world. School may seem worthless to some but point is; without it you have a much slimmer chance of become a pro than someone who did regardless of skill.

Now, as a wedding photographer or local portrait shooter it's different. Having school will help you refine your skills and adapt to any situation but it's not necessary. Just having a good website, business savvy and the drive to get your name out there goes a long way.

*sidenote* How about just minoring in art where you can learn photography and compositional skills and apply that to your degree in zoology? Getting paid to shoot wildlife sounds like a fun gig and with both degrees you're very likely to make that happen. If you're very knowledgeable in a certain subject AND can take great photos of it, you're on the right path to making money shooting the things you know and love.

18. mtkversion

I'm going to go on the other end and say that this isn't always true.

While school is important/good for some people, others have and will find a way to succeed without it.

If you approach photography as a business (which i'm doing currently) then remember the number one rule in business :

It's not what you know, it's who you know. :)

19. kristin

kristin my dog > *

Completely agree.

20. isaac86hatch

:werd: and I realize after I posted that I did not even mention all the people involved. Of course ... without school half the people I know I would have never met.