A&P Photography pricing?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SkyAce2004, Sep 9, 2008.

1. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

Ive recently started to get a lot of interest from people in my area. I did some free photo shoots to start out, get my name out there and get some networking done, but now that I have a lot more people wanting photos, what would be a fair price to charge people?

I was telling some people $20/hr for the photoshoot (that would cover my gas to get to the location and back, plus batteries for the flashes and all that). However, what about the cost of the digitial pictures afterwards? Prints?

All my shots were usually just pay me $20 and ill give you a CD. But I want to start making some money off this gig. I want it to be fair as to not scare people away, but at the same time I dont want to be working for free.

website for reference: www.skyace2004.com

2. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I think you are better off not having "by the hour" pricing and stick to numbers and make it like

for $$$ you get 2 hours and a cd with a minimum of XX processed hi res images with a written copyright release.

or do not offer images and instead charge them for images above teh cost of teh shoot.

I would also charge a trael fee if it is out of a certain area

3. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

what types of shoots are we talking about for this situation? Doing personal portrait sessions is completely different from doing event coverage, which is totally different from model portfolio/headshot shoots.

4. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

and fix your website. The home page is ridiculously simple and your galleries are all over the place. Every one seems to be its own theme

5. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

First, don't nickel and dime them to death. If you're going to do it by the hour, make sure it covers all your cost. No processing fee, no CD fee, just (maybe) additional 'must have' fees. Like enlargements, digital negatives, or other things not normally offered.

OR, just charge a flat fee of $xxx amount with 1 or 2 locations, and additional costs per more locations.

I'm just starting out too, so I'm in the same boat. I just want the money part to be a minimal part of the customers thought process and let them think about the final product more. 1 fee, 1 dollar amount, different packages. :dunno:

6. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

x amount of dollars for a "sitting fee". this gets you 1 pose in x number of prints

10 bucks each additional print above the basic package.

You're doing the same thing Sears or JC Penny does.

sitting fee = $50 (example)
    this gets them in the door with a package of say 1 8x10, 2 5x7's, 2 sheets of wallets, and a CD of this image for their myspace page or some shit
    Then you charge $10 for each additional page of prints they want, and remember 8x10+ is 1 page, 2 5x7's is a page, 1 sheet of wallets is a page etc.

make your money on prints, the sitting fee gets them in the door.

7. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

nudes are done half price

dirty nasty filthy nudes are free (and I mean this in a good way, not toeshoes)

8. someonenew

XXX nudes which require the use of a remote, and multiple takes:naughty: are always free:naughty:

right:naughty:

9. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

the website is a temp. for now. ive been looking for a better gallery. Im not very web saavy, so it suits my needs for now.

10. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

Same. I dont want them to worry about the cost. I really love shooting, but at the same time, I cant do it for free anymore. Too many people have started to ask for photos. I usually just do 1 location, 1 hour, you can change as many times as you want, but once that hr is over with, see ya.

I just quoted this girl $50, 1 hr at a park and about 20 full res images on a CD. She was happy with that price.

But what starts to bother me is when they start asking for prints and all the extra shit. I dont know where to have prints made, and what kind of mark-up to put on prints. I would eventually like to get into event photography, but im still doing 1 on 1 portrait shots for now.

11. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Then charge more than $50. Make a package of $150-200 that includes sitting fee, 2 location fees, a few prints, and pics on a CD. Then add $50 per additional location and be done. I hate "this" fee, and "that" fee.... I'm in the automotive business, I nickel and dime people all the time. Can't and won't stand for that shit on my private side. Simplify everything as much as you can.

12. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I have my portraits set up on a credit system. that way they aren't stuck ordering your pre packaged # of prints....here's how it's structured.

These are unit based packages with one (1) unit being an 8x10 size print (8x10, 2-5x7, 4-4x5, and 8 wallets are all considered 1 unit). Larger sizes are available upon request.

5 unit, 1 pose-$xxx

8 unit, 3 pose $xxx

11 unit, 4 pose $xxx

14 unit, 5 pose $xxx

20 unit, 6 pose $xxx

30 unit, 7 pose $xxx

50 unit, 10 pose $xxx

An example of an 11 unit purchase would be.

2 8x10(2 units)
    6 5x7(3 units)
    16 4x5(4 units)
    16 wallet(2 units)

Total 11 units

13. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

fyi, if you hand someone a cd/dvd it becomes a taxable event (sales tax issues). if you load them on sever and have your clients download them, non-taxable event.... at least for now.

14. CRC

CRC New Member

15. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

You mean the one in my sig also?

:fawk:

She is an ex GF from HS. I dont really talk to her much anymore, but even if I had some :hsugh: I wouldnt post them on OT...however, i do have some bikini shots of her. But they arnt put in any kind of web gallery, and im too lazy to do that right now.

16. ericande

ericande Active Member

Is she in your avatar so you can remember your glory days?

17. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

she has been in my AV since i registered and got a sub. I dont see any reason to change it.

18. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i dont understand why people would want a CD? i would make a sheet with the images on it and they would choose the ones they like, then they would pay for those prints.

19. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I think that's what I'm going to start doing rather than giving web proofs/CD's... people monitors vary so much they aren't seeing proper colors and exposures...

20. someonenew

some people want what equates to the digital negative so they can get more prints

but I also think that with today's people digital versions of the photo are just as important because they want to be able to put it on their myspace/facebook pages.

In today's society digital images are just as much in demand as prints, if not more so.

21. someonenew

a wedding photog here that I know has a disclaimer on her page that specifies that her monitor is calibrated with monitor calibration software and that she has the printer profile for her printer etc so that when you view the photos on you monitor they may not appear as they will when they're printed. :dunno:.

22. Bloke

Bloke Banned

you know what? i wouldnt sell a turd to those people. :greddy:

23. someonenew

if you don't market to Seniors then I guess that's your choice:dunno:

24. ericande

ericande Active Member

I don't either, until you decide to change it to a nude...