A&P Photography n00b?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DatacomGuy, Feb 10, 2003.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

So I want to really dive into photography. I need a new hobby..

Bought my girl a REAL nice Canon camera.. spent about $500 on it for Christmas.. plus I got a real nice digicam (Nikon CoolPix 880)..

I was real into photography in high school; did real well. Got A+'s on all my work.

Anyone know of any good sites that could give me a refresher on photography basics, plus some more advanced techniques and stuff?

And does anyone know how I could accomplish a picture like this?

[​IMG]

The way the clouds and all look. Looks surreal. :bowdown:

2. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

You might look in the sticky post at the top of the forum. It has some good links in it.

The photo you posted I would say is a photoshop.

3. Ardore

Ardore Guest

I'd say photoshop, but the cloud effect part is probably done with... I think a neutral density filter.. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...

I don't look on inet as much for sites as I do subscribe to magazines.. Outdoor Photographer, PHOTOgraphic, Popular Photography, shutterbug.... (more that I can't think of)

4. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Looks like the photographer used a circular polarizer and a 2 or 4 stop graduated ND filter plus a little photoshopping to get the different skin tones.

5. darkpriest

darkpriest Guest

One of the best sites out there with lots of information is Photo.Net. The site has in-depth articles, plus a rich forum that many pro's post on.

In terms of the photo you posted, without seeing a bigger version, I actually think the photo is two seperate ones put together.

The cloud's were most likely taken with a wide angle lense or even a fisheye.

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You could easily take the above photo with a graduated ND filter. A number 9 filter has a three stop range which would be sufficent to darken the sky. Although the photo could be two different pics photoshopped together, I think it is one photo, taken with a 24mm-35mm lens.

Cheers
    Jim