A&P Photography I

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Speedy Spike, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Speedy Spike

Speedy Spike "All theses moments will be lost in time like tear

I start college in September and I am taking a Photography Class. I took a Photography class in High School but we didn’t' really take pictures. And if we did we used cheep point and shoot cameras. I really hope this class gets to the nitty gritys of Photography. I really enjoy the whole art of Photography. Some people say it's because I live in Rochester "Kodak Picture" New York, but I don’t know if that's the case. I am going to post some of my work here someday. I actually misplaced my 35mm camera. I had a Pentex K-1000 it was a gift for my birthday and now it's missing. I am debating if I am going to get a Digital SLR and another 35mm Film Camera. Anyways, back to the point of this thread. Has anyone taken Photography I (101) .. Truth is I am also starting college in September so I don't even know if classes are the same like if English 101 would be the same from one college to the next.

2. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

photo 1 at my school was color...it was a good experience..i got the basics down way more solid than i had before and i learned a lot about color and composition just by hearing critique and looking at others' work

3. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

go ahead and get a 35mm, there all 15-100 now anyway

4. Kriddaw

Kriddaw More than meets the eye.

Yeah, get a Canon AE-1 Program and some Kodak Tri-X or Ilford Delta 400 or something :) !

5. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

I learned on an AE-1 :cool: - great starter camera & can be had for cheap.

6. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

I can't wait to take a photography course in high school

7. Speedy Spike

I had a Canon AE-1 for like a week and used it, but my father sells on eBay for a living so we got ride of if quick. I enjoyed the K-1000 but there's no Self Timer and I am a Nut when it comes to Self Photography. High School Photo was fun, but I went to Rochester City Schools when I had that class, and their not the best in the world.

8. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

the AE-1 is nice for a beginner, along with a cheap minolta xd-11 probably 50 or less

9. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

You'll enjoy it very much...... they most likelly will start with B&W process....... when I started I used the nikon FM-10..... great camera for begginers, you can get it really cheap on e-bay.

10. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

I agree on the AE-1... I have taken Photography I and Photography II (at a Jr. College)... Very benificial classes though. For me Photography I was Black and White film, bassicaly just learning the basics... some schools add some color in towards the end, but you dont get to do anything fun until photography II... In class you will only be shooting 35mm... but if you want a DSLR for the fun of it, go for it.

11. Jenny Jenn

Jenny Jenn New Member

Is photography your major? If not, then don't count on it being the best class. I know at my school, Photography 1 doesn't even give you access to any photo labs or if I remember correctly from what a friend mentioned, you don't even take pictures at all. It is more about studying photography. Your school could be different though.

12. Speedy Spike

Well I have a photo lab day so I am guessing were going to be taking pictures here is the description of the class in the book:

PHO I: Photography I 3 Credits
    A course which may be used by students wishing to employ photography for personal expression as well as those wishing to use the course work to supplement or enter a career education. Students acquire skills in the use of photographic equipment and processes through a serious of assignments including such subjects as stop-action, available light, flash and portrait lighting, developing negatives and producing finished enlargements. All equipment necessary to complete the projects is made available to the students, who may also use the course work to achieve better results from any equipment they may own. Two class hours, two laboratory hours.
    (SUNY-A)

13. Jenny Jenn

Jenny Jenn New Member

oooh okay then it sounds like you'll have a nice class, lucky you! I'm not a photography major but I have to take 2 art classes to fill my requirements and I am thinking about registering for the photography class but I don't know if I want to because the one at my school isn't as good as what you get.

14. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

im seriously considering taking a saturday photograhpy class, start going back to hte basics

15. kendan

kendan New Member

the photography class at my school does processing and other things. It's not just like textbook basics and whatnot.

16. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

Intro to Fine Art Photo was the first photo class I took. It was the very basics, from camera operation to developing film and making your own prints. We did true black and white, as thats all our darkroom/lab is setup to handle.